Exhaust - decisions decisions...

Lausie_d

Hey guys,

Newbie here seeking exhaust help...

I'm torn between the Akra, Yoshimura, SC Project and the Arrow.

The Akra is expensive and I have to wonder whether it's worth the extra cash. The SC Project looks lush but has a really long lead time and I'm terribly impatient. The Arrow, as standard, is waaay too long, and I'm not sure how I feel about hashing it together on the short style, bolting & bending things here and there. I can't think of any downsides to the Yoshi yet...anyone?

I want enough noise that people can hear me as I'm filtering through London rush hour traffic, but not too much noise that I sound like a twit.

Can any of you help build my pros/cons list...

Thanks!

e4xit

London

If you are not too far from me in London I could potentially show you what the Akra with no baffle in sounds like on the weekend...?

Pedvizzle

I just fitted the Yoshimura Carbon and I absolutely love it. Fantastic sound and certainly loud enough to be heard without sounding OTT. I quick twist is enough to let people know you're there and sounds great at the lights!

I'll post a picture, but honestly the looks are nothing compared to the sound. I'm in London so happy to meet for a ride and you can hear for yourself.

IMG_1786.jpg

Lausie_d

Thank you all for your replies. I spent hours researching last night and think I'm going to go for the SC Project....purely because the thread dedicated to it on this forum absolutely sings it's praises!!

My friend has the Akra on her MT07 and I love the sound of it, but I'm struggling to justify the money. I thought the Yoshi was going to win, but then I realised that only the race version is available at the moment (unless I'm mistaken), and I would rather have something that is completely legit for street use as Biker Cops do random stops along my commute every 3-4 months and I don't want to wind them up.

Thank you all again, this is a brilliant forum!

e4xit

Comparison

I would potentially be meeting up for a quick comparison of the exhausts if anyone else is? I have Akra with no baffle FWIW.

def

what i have heard the short exhausts is not that good, u need the lenght for the exhaust gas to accelerate enough to drag the gas out of the engine. so i would say go for akra titanium/carbon or the longer exhausts. im using akra carbon and im rly saticfied with it. akra carbon is rly rly rly loud but i fitted a universal extra silender on the db-killer. with out it i cant ride for more then 30 min wihtout getting headache. extra silencer in or out doesnt matter ppl cant miss u :) sry for bad english :)

jonnyg

Hi, I bought the Mivv black high level exhaust, with the baffles in it's nice and smooth rumble with them out it's kind'a growls..Great price to £280 for the whole system..20150905_130901.jpg

Blakduk

what i have heard the short exhausts is not that good, u need the lenght for the exhaust gas to accelerate enough to drag the gas out of the engine. so i would say go for akra titanium/carbon or the longer exhausts. im using akra carbon and im rly saticfied with it. akra carbon is rly rly rly loud but i fitted a universal extra silender on the db-killer. with out it i cant ride for more then 30 min wihtout getting headache. extra silencer in or out doesnt matter ppl cant miss u :) sry for bad english :)
Yeah, but the original exhaust is a short one. I couldn't imagine Yamaha not getting that right?

Ralph

The org one may look short but there's about a yard of piping in there likely to get the tuned length,
a mate that rides with me often says my bike is getting louder on the stock pipe but it still sounds like
a lawn mower to me, only time I hear it is when stopped or in tunnels, I don't like loud but am tempted
to buy a cast off org one and drill through the exit pipe were it bends just inside the silencer though I
will likely just end up with a louder lawn mower.

Lausie_d

Just as an update...

I ended up going for the SC Project and to my delight, it arrived within 2 weeks of ordering (I was worried it might take closer to 6). I fitted it myself in about 40 mins (most of that time was wasted trying to undo the bolts that I can only imagine were tightened by the Hulk himself).

I'm currently running it with the baffle in and am really really pleased with how it looks and sounds. Most of the noise is at the lower end which is perfect for my daily Central London commute. I can't say that I've noticed much difference in power, although it felt a bit smoother cruising in 5th gear at around 70mph recently.

The sound without the baffle is basically sexual chocolate, but I'm going to have to ease my neighbours in to that one!!!

Happy to meet anyone keen to hear it in the flesh in/around London or Box Hill.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BmpqBokqjlc

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kWEIuhjyaNc

kosia

I've got leovince underbody and is awesome loud enough better acceleration more top speed and beautiful

mark

SC project

Habe installed This couple of days ago....this exhaust is way to loud..basta..now lookin for a way to get the level down enough that the race stewards don't pull me in
Hoping that the MX exhaust wool I have ordered will help
I will stuff that in the the gap between inner and outer tubes of the silencer...then I also have a universal catalyst coming ..hopefully these two things will be enough to stop me been picked out
The exhaust is worth its money but just way to loud...and with me livin in Germany..have to watch these things they are sharp over here with their rules and regulations...if anyone has any tips...give them here...please

foxracer

Too loud? It's Street legal in EU isn't it, comes with a little card you can show to the cops. I assume you've still got the baffle in?

Eddieh93

Ye either you have the baffles out or you're a pussy, how can it be too loud didn't think them words existed in motorcycling?

Lausie_d

Are you talking about the SC Project Mark?

I don't find it too loud at all, especially at the top end (I find most of the noise is at the low end in gears 1 & 2, making it perfect for city commuting). I can't imagine it being too loud around a track in 5th or 6th at all!

Having the baffle out is a different story. Thats when you enter Beast Mode!