Engine cuts off when the clutch lever pulled in

Artem

Engine cuts out when the clutch lever pulled in for some time while stationary
Anyone noticed this? How to avoid this?

Last edited:

loneranger

I will check mine tomorrow for you. I have not noticed this. So I can understand, are you saying you ride the bike and at a traffic light you stop and hold clutch in whilst in first gear, ready to move off? but after a while your engine cuts out? could be something to do with the stand as this cuts out engine if you are in gear, maybe loose?

Artem

That's correct. I am at the traffic light in 1st gear with the clutch in. And when just about to ride off the engine cuts out :(

D

Deleted member 20

That's correct. I am at the traffic light in 1st gear with the clutch in. And when just about to ride off the engine cuts out :(
Are you sure you're not stalling it when you're about to ride off ???
Or stand swithch issue?

Artem

I'll try to find a way to reliably reproduce the issue and post back.
I just thought it's some kind of eco feature.

Ralph

The engine as a auto stop system but it only operates after 20 min of idling,
could you be catching the side stand as you pick your foot up off the floor
to set off?

D

Deleted member 20

I'll try to find a way to reliably reproduce the issue and post back.
I just thought it's some kind of eco feature.
Don't know if you've tried this already, but anyway.
If I were you I would figure out how easy it is to stall by easing the clutch without any gas, see how much/little clutch pull is needed to still keep motor running. Check your clutch play, you might need to tension the cable to remove slack, 1-1½ mm play is enough I think. If you have reach adjustable after market clutch lever, make sure it has enough travel, not adjusted to position closest to handlebar. This excercise will also show you how easy the motor stalls w/o engaged throttle, and the feedback it provides doing it.

Mike

Engine cuts out when the clutch lever pulled in for some time while stationary
Anyone noticed this? How to avoid this?
Yes, same thing happened to me the other day. Came up to a stop, grabbed the clutch put it in first gear and then it just stalled.. On my bike the idle is very low, just a bit over 1000 rpm when it's warm. So maybe that's the reason why it stalled?

Rouqui

my bike's tickover is a little over 1000 rpm, I haven't experienced the stalling problem. The manual 3-14 says release the clutch slowly, it certainly doesn't like my old quicker gear changes, perhaps the flywheel is so light, not sure. When engaging first gear from neutral from cold this bike clunks like a Guzzi or a bm.

Ralph

I have had 2 or 3 new bikes that have stalled under the same conditions but only
the odd time and once they get run in they stop doing it, could be yours it a little
tight and will be ok once fully run in but there's no harm in taking it into the dealer
to be on the safe side.

Irksome

I've been stalling a lot recently, and thought I was going mad - but its definitely NOT me, and sometimes I'm having to try for 5-10 seconds to restart the bike - often at traffic lights and always when the bike has warmed up / very warm.

PeaceMaker

I noticed mine lowers a lot the idle as it warms, so 60c has higher idle than 90c.. that's normal.. also happens to a lot of other v twins..

Harder to start while hot I think is normal too...

Mine never stalled tough

Artem

I can't reproduce the issue for some time now. It looks like it goes away during the breaking in process.

Artem

mine is 200 miles and I had the same issue on the demo bike which had about 100 miles on the clock ;)

Jon

Once in 500 miles for me. Not totally certain it wasn't my fault (foot on rear brake, maybe relaxed clutch hand a bit when in gear, no revs...) not sure.

D

Deleted member 20

Tip of the day: Never let the RPM drop below 6K and stalls will become a non-issue :)

Will145

I haven't had any engine cut off issues. I've stalled it once - me being a berk so can't blame the bike. Bloody happened in a packed petrol station after filling up.....

sdrio

This bothers me . . .

There has been an issue for years with the XT660 / MT03 cutting out like this. There are threads about it all over the internet, going back 10 years.

Nobody has ever completely solved it. Yamaha did a recall on the XT660 in about 2005 / 2006 to change (I think) the O2 sensors, but it was never cured. The general agreement was that it was just a characteristic of a large single, and turning the tickover up helped.

It's exactly what you describe - as you go to pull away, it stalls for no apparent reason.

Having lived with this for 3 years with an MT03, I was extremely concerned to find my MT07 has started doing it. It's definitely NOT me stalling it, it's the bike cutting out. It always seems to happen at the worst possible moment.

I suspect it's a similar issue, with a poorly designed fuel injection system.

I'm in for the first service next weekend, and will ask for it to be checked, and maybe turn the tickover up a bit. Let's keep an eye on it.