Engine cuts off when the clutch lever pulled in

Irksome

Yea I uploaded the videos mainly so that when I take it in again for the 3rd time I have something to show them.

Mentioned throttle body sync the 2nd time and they instantly replied it wouldn't be that, didn't even consider it.
Addy thanks for your video - very interesting ( and I recognise those locations well ) ... mine's been fine for the most part but last week I had to do a run upto the City from Knightsbridge, and it was quite warm, so the engine was hot (fan kicked in a couple of times) and mine stalled identically to yours on two occasions. Back to the stealers next week again.

Noggie

I had mine stall on me for the first time.
Had been driving along for about 20 minutes, mostly motorways doing 90-110km/h.
this one road ends in a traffic circle, and I was downshifting from doing about 80km/h in 5th gear.
get down to 3rd and blipped the throttle every downshift, but shifting down to 2nd and the bike just stalled with the clutch in an me rolling towards the traffic circle around 30km/h.
I did not notice it at first, I just saw the oil lamp was on, and I though "awe shit.... I just picked it up from its first service" then noticed nothing happened when I twisted the throttle to get through the traffic circle and realized it has stalled. It started right up again so I did not get into any situation.
I'll just have to see if it happens again.

sdrio

Revisiting this monster, just to add an observation.

Mine is still doing the little cough, although I am pretty adept at catching it and avoiding the stall. In fact what happens is I basically don't start moving until I can feel it has gone past that point. Not perfect, but workable. It still does stall every now and then, so it hasn't 'gone away'.

But, I have noticed something wierd.

It does this intermittently. It will do it multiple times over the course of 2 or 3 days, then it settles down and doesn't do it for anything up to a couple of weeks. It will run fine for a while, then it will cough and fart its way into work for a few days, then recover.

I can't work out what the common factor is though. It does it in hot or cold weather, rain or shine, and regardless of what fuel it has in it (or even fuel level).

Any ideas what I might be missing? What on this bike could be changing over time to cause these clusterings of misfires?

robodene

Any ideas what I might be missing? What on this bike could be changing over time to cause these clusterings of misfires?
I wonder if it is an electrical connection. One of my bikes had an appalling misfire (backfiring/one cylinder running etc.) which would go on for yards/miles/days according to how it felt. I originally thought it was due to muck in the fuel because it began immediately after an emergency stop. Trying to sort it, the dealer after many false dawns, found it to be a faulty electrical connection. It took some finding. No trouble since (it blew the complete guts out of one can eventually; quite fun re-making that, though). Worth a thought?
Rob

addy

Mine has been fine for a couple months but then the other day it stalled 3 times in one ride, just kept coughing/stuttering and died. Yesterday it was fine however every time I came to a stop and pulled the clutch in the bike would idle high for a seconds (about 1.8k) then it would drop back down.

kodde

Also had bike stall for me at traffic lights quite a few times. Kind of annoying. Mostly I get this feeling of shame as if I was in the wrong. I've been riding for almost six years now, the MT-07 being my fifth bike. I hardly ever stalled the previous 4 bikes.

Crypto

Also had bike stall for me at traffic lights quite a few times. Kind of annoying. Mostly I get this feeling of shame as if I was in the wrong. I've been riding for almost six years now, the MT-07 being my fifth bike. I hardly ever stalled the previous 4 bikes.
Do you mean as the light turns green and it stalls when you try to go? Because I've never ever had the MT-07 stall for me on it's own while just waiting at traffic lights.

Ralph

Mine used to do it but as never done it since I got the dealer to richen it up at it's
last service about 3000 miles back, another thing that does not help is that the
air temp sensor gives a false reading in slow traffic or after a short stop were
a outside temp reading can go from 10c to 23c this reading is used to show
outside temp on the dash and by the ecu to partly control the fuel mixture,
The sensor is behind the trim at the front of the dummy tank on the right side
you can feel it by putting your fingers through the gap between the frame and
tank were the trim bends round it sits vertically with a wire on the bottom, I looked
at moving it to somewhere it would get less heat soak from the engine and have thought
of cutting the trim back or drilling a hole in the trim to let the heat escape, not done it yet
but if it starts stalling again I will.

addy

I've had my bike back in the dealer a few times, the last time Yamaha told the dealer to do a throttle body sync but that hasn't worked so now I am waiting for them to get back to me again with a new idea.

[video=youtube;BU1L9h78yfg]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BU1L9h78yfg[/video]

This video shows the revs drop briefly when touching the throttle, can normally tell when the bike is going to cut out cause this will happen 2/3 times as you try and pull away. The revs drop and feels like it's going to die but then it picks it back up.

Ralph

One thing to check is the wires to the clutch lever are connected and switch working as
pulling the clutch in retards the timing as you pull in the clutch and this helps stop the
stall try the rev thing clutch in and out it does make a difference.

Last edited:

sdrio

I've had my bike back in the dealer a few times, the last time Yamaha told the dealer to do a throttle body sync but that hasn't worked so now I am waiting for them to get back to me again with a new idea.
Good luck with that. I sent mine back 3 times, they had it for over 6 weeks in total, and just told me there was nothing wrong with it.

After the third time, the dealers refused to answer any emails or talk to me on the phone.

If you do get a solution, I'd be interested to know as Yamaha still owe me a properly working bike.

addy

Good luck with that. I sent mine back 3 times, they had it for over 6 weeks in total, and just told me there was nothing wrong with it.

After the third time, the dealers refused to answer any emails or talk to me on the phone.

If you do get a solution, I'd be interested to know as Yamaha still owe me a properly working bike.
That's how it was with metropolis, they just didn't want to know even from the start so now I go to slocombes up near willesden/wembley area are they are much better. The guy there actually listens and has been in contact with Yamaha quite a bit, the problem is Yamaha seem to drag their feet a bit and what surprises me is how many people have reported this issue world wide yet Yamaha still say they haven't heard of it before? or they probably bury their heads in the sand and pretend like they don't hear it.

I saved a few videos of it happening on my bike and sent them to the dealer as well and he thinks it's an ecu issue. Someone from america recommended an ecu reflash from ecunleashed which would fix the issue and also improve the bike all round so I will look into it. MotorSport ECU Tuning | ECU Reflashing | ECU Remapping | Chip Tuning ? ECUnleashed Tuning Technology: The Go To?To Go Fast Company | 2014 Yamaha FZ-07 ? MT-07 ? Performance Re-flash

sdrio

That's how it was with metropolis, they just didn't want to know even from the start so now I go to slocombes up near willesden/wembley area are they are much better. The guy there actually listens and has been in contact with Yamaha quite a bit, the problem is Yamaha seem to drag their feet a bit and what surprises me is how many people have reported this issue world wide yet Yamaha still say they haven't heard of it before? or they probably bury their heads in the sand and pretend like they don't hear it.

I saved a few videos of it happening on my bike and sent them to the dealer as well and he thinks it's an ecu issue. Someone from america recommended an ecu reflash from ecunleashed which would fix the issue and also improve the bike all round so I will look into it. MotorSport ECU Tuning | ECU Reflashing | ECU Remapping | Chip Tuning ? ECUnleashed Tuning Technology: The Go To?To Go Fast Company | 2014 Yamaha FZ-07 ? MT-07 ? Performance Re-flash
I assumed it was economics. Presumably the fix is expensive, but not all the bikes are duff, so it's cheaper to ignore the unlucky buyers than have to recall all of them.

Shame they were so ignorant about it though. I asked for a loan bike during the month and a half they had mine, and they didn't respond at all.

addy

I assumed it was economics. Presumably the fix is expensive, but not all the bikes are duff, so it's cheaper to ignore the unlucky buyers than have to recall all of them.

Shame they were so ignorant about it though. I asked for a loan bike during the month and a half they had mine, and they didn't respond at all.
If it was anything else I had bought that was faulty and they we're unable to fix it after 4 tries I would be demanding a refund or replacement but it's not like you can do that with a bike. Well I guess you can it's just much harder but i'm going to start looking into it, getting pissed off not knowing if I filter the front is it going to cut out or not and get rammed by some impatient idiot behind me.

sdrio

If it was anything else I had bought that was faulty and they we're unable to fix it after 4 tries I would be demanding a refund or replacement but it's not like you can do that with a bike. Well I guess you can it's just much harder but i'm going to start looking into it, getting pissed off not knowing if I filter the front is it going to cut out or not and get rammed by some impatient idiot behind me.
I reported it to VOSA, but they weren't interested. Yamaha were pretty pissed off with that. But, you know, Yamaha can do one.

Just out of interest, I find mine does it in 'clusters', it won't do it for weeks, then does it 3 times in a one hour journey.

I think it's some kind of software bug, the fuel mapping goes wrong in a certain set of atmospheric/temperature conditions. It's possibly one of these dodgy emmission cheating programs or something , kicks in under some circumstances, not others.

addy

Just out of interest, I find mine does it in 'clusters', it won't do it for weeks, then does it 3 times in a one hour journey.
It's exactly that, The day after I got it back from the dealer it cut out twice within 5 mins of each other, today and yesterday it's been fine.

Sometimes I will know it's going to happen somewhere in that ride because the revs will drop and the bike catches it as I'm pulling away sort of like a cough, similar to that video I posted a few comments back. If that happens I know it will die soon.

sdrio

It's exactly that, The day after I got it back from the dealer it cut out twice within 5 mins of each other, today and yesterday it's been fine.

Sometimes I will know it's going to happen somewhere in that ride because the revs will drop and the bike catches it as I'm pulling away sort of like a cough, similar to that video I posted a few comments back. If that happens I know it will die soon.
I've had mine for 2 years now. I'm totally used to it, and it only catches me out occasionally - it does the cough, but I'm usually ready for it and let the throttle off a bit.

Still irritating though. Not just because it does it, but also because Yamaha and the dealer I bought it from were so oily about denying it happens.

If you do decide to go to war, I have quite a lot of links / posts from various places where other people report it - if this thread itself isn't enough.

addy

I've had mine for 2 years now. I'm totally used to it, and it only catches me out occasionally - it does the cough, but I'm usually ready for it and let the throttle off a bit.

Still irritating though. Not just because it does it, but also because Yamaha and the dealer I bought it from were so oily about denying it happens.

If you do decide to go to war, I have quite a lot of links / posts from various places where other people report it - if this thread itself isn't enough.
Yea I think I have read through every mt/fz 07 forum post and fb group there is regarding this issue, I've also been saving any youtube video I come across. So far slocombes have been really good and it does look like they are trying to figure it out but I'm the first person to have mentioned this issue to them.

What might be useful is if your not too far from slocombes then you could take your bike in as well, with another person bringing up the exact same issue it might kick yamaha into doing something. Tell them that your dealer has just ignored the issue, they wouldn't take your bike in like mine until they get told what to do by yamaha.

Simoncrp

I also bought my bike from Slocombes towards the end of 2015. But so far haven't had this particular issue.
It's good to know that they are helpful.