Effectiveness of ABS. Found this interesting .gif comparison.

Ady

I'll stick with the abs, not sure the stabilisers would help with filtering ;)

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

Ralph

Yep but that's not how anyone with half a brain cell would brake a non abs bike in the wet.

craigieboy

Interesting, there's been a couple of times in the wet when Ive put the anchors on and felt the abs kick in, sure if I hadn't had it on the bike it would have been a diffrent outcome.

Looked fun with the stabilisers though :D

Ralph

Probably not, but he seems to be braking just as hard on the abs one, which barely twitches.
He is braking to hard no one that as had any experience would lock the wheels on a solo bike and keep them locked
you would eases them off it is a natural reaction to any experienced rider that bloke bangs them on and keeps them
locked, if we all did that in the rain 99% of bikes would be down the road every time it rains, if we are going to demo
things like this lets do it with riders trying to stop in the shortest distance not trying to prove how good one system
is over the other. good abs and not all systems are equal are getting more or less unbeatable but if we are going to
show things like this lets show it as it really is, if you brake like the guy on the non abs then yes you need abs, the
kiddy trainers and very likly a change of underwear.

sdrio

He is braking to hard no one that as had any experience would lock the wheels on a solo bike and keep them locked
you would eases them off it is a natural reaction to any experienced rider that bloke bangs them on and keeps them
locked, if we all did that in the rain 99% of bikes would be down the road every time it rains, if we are going to demo
things like this lets do it with riders trying to stop in the shortest distance not trying to prove how good one system
is over the other. good abs and not all systems are equal are getting more or less unbeatable but if we are going to
show things like this lets show it as it really is, if you brake like the guy on the non abs then yes you need abs, the
kiddy trainers and very likly a change of underwear.
You're overthinking this.

He brakes stupidly hard without ABS, which most of us probably wouldn't do. Agreed.

He's braking equally stupidly hard with ABS, and stopping.

Point is, without ABS you either travel further, and not skid (but possibly hit whatever you're stopping for), or skid and fall off.

I can't really see what it is you're objecting to.

Ralph

I object to the bloke on the non abs bike trying to prove abs is better and not trying to stop the bike safely,
I don't object to abs just the way this test is done.

Ralph

One thing I would like is to have a go on both bikes that would be fun
but I would like the trainer wheels on both I bet that experience could save your life.

sdrio

I object to the bloke on the non abs bike trying to prove abs is better and not trying to stop the bike safely,
I don't object to abs just the way this test is done.
But isn't that the whole point? He is proving ABS is better.

If he did try to stop the bike safely, he would travel much further than the one on the left. If that extra space happened to hold a 40 ton articulated lorry, he'd have a really bad day.

I see no shenanigans in these images. I agree he is deliberately losing control, but that is to prove something.

sdrio

One thing I would like is to have a go on both bikes that would be fun
but I would like the trainer wheels on both I bet that experience could save your life.
It would be good. I've never set my ABS off as far as I know, it'd be helpful to know what it feels like, and to practice losing control without having to deck the bike.

Ralph

If you do want to experience abs take yourself down to a BMW dealer and get a
test ride on one of the early power braked abs bikes on a nice wet slimy day,
that will convince you that you need abs but not power brakes, the first
few miles will be terrifying, no need for fake tests on those bikes you need
abs in the wet. the power assist was discontinued and no wonder.
I went from total confidence to "what the hell" in 200 yards.
It is surprising how hard you can brake on modern tyres even in the wet.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 20

Agree with Ralph, the guy is looking up front and rear, not even trying to stay upright.

This is a better video on the same theme
[video=youtube;X6kO6ltk3a0]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X6kO6ltk3a0[/video]

D

Deleted member 20

I'm sorry sdrio, didn't mean to say you were wrong or anything. And yes, ABS is always better and I would never buy a bike without it.

What amazes me is that relatively developed countries like US still market bikes where ABS is not even an option - like the new Yamaha R3. In Sweden ABS have been "standard" for 10 years, from Jan 2016 it will be mandatory in Europe and in India. But not in the US :) , rather funny.

shadowmonkey

When watching that video, I see the rider on non abs seems to deliberately pull the steering to one side..? Well that's what I see anyway!
I have locked my front wheel up a few times and reacted well with reapplying the brakes to stop.. Wouldn't that video give the stupidness of some riders the thought that they can ride faster in the rain.
I never seem to have a problem stopping in the rain it's more the corners and roundabouts I have a problem with.

shadowmonkey

I am not saying that, that doesn't happen it's just the way it's demonstrated on that video when he feeds his left arm forward to cause the wheel to go that way.

sdrio

I am not saying that, that doesn't happen it's just the way it's demonstrated on that video when he feeds his left arm forward to cause the wheel to go that way.
OK, but even given he is doing it deliberately, would you be able to do that on a dry road?

He's definitely doing nothing at all to stop it happening, maybe helping a little, but 99% of what you see is the physics of jamming on the brakes on a slippery surface. You couldn't do that on a dry surface, the tyre wouldn't let go.

Ralph

So on the abs bike he is demonstrating how good it can be and on the non abs he is demonstrating how bad it could be,
it's not trying to show how short a distance both can stop in just how bad it can be if you ride like a total Muppet.
I get it now.