Ear phones

Noggie

Anyone use earphones, and which ones?

I have a shoei gt-air helmet and I don't need ear plugs for noise, I have had no problems with noice in day trips so I don't feel that I need them for that. The wind noise is not an issue before I get past 100kph, and I don't go at those speeds for long times as the highest speed limit in my area is 90 on the motorway, and motorways are boring on a bike.

I do have a Sena 20s and I use this for music, however I think the speakers are a but too far away from my ears to provide good music sound, they work great for intercom, but with music there is no bass, so I just hear the treble and voice.

The Sena can accommodate any ear phones, so I was thinking about getting a set, and the main focus is good music sound.
I was thinking about the Bose QC20, they have noice canceling, but that is just a nice to have.

Anyone care to share their experience with ear phones??

P

Peter

I use Alpine MotoSafe. Excellent product, comfortable to wear all day long. I'm not tired and no headache after riding hours.
The only issue is that a bit complicated to plug-unplug.

The noise is a silent killer :)
Protect your ears if you don't want to be a deaf grandfather. My helmet is not the best but the noise is significant at 80-90 km/h.

Noggie

After my original post tried a few things.
First the earplugs that came with my iPhone, these things proved virtually impossible to keep in place when putting on my helmet.
I then remembered that I had a set of Logitech in-ear plugs I got with a computer I bought back in -07, and hardly used.
These stayed well in place while putting on my helmet. Noticed a huge reduction in hearing too :)
Off I went for a ride, and it looks like I underestimated the need for earplugs, the ride was much more comfortable and noice free, and I could actually enjoy music.
Think I'll keep using these until I decide what to get.

Been thinking about a head cap too, for now I have avoided riding if I use any hair products.

foxracer

I have an interphone f5mc with the shoei prosound kit. Fits perfectly in to the gt air and goes pretty loud!

bubbles

I have always used ear plugs when I ride and it's nothing to do with the quality of your helmet as i've had an Arai RX7 & currently a Shoei GT Air. I have used disposables but currently use the Alpine Motosafe, but unfortunately they are getting a bit battered. Hopefully at the bike show later this year at the NEC the Ultimate ear people will be around so I can get a custom ear cast done :)

Noggie

I have an interphone f5mc with the shoei prosound kit. Fits perfectly in to the gt air and goes pretty loud!
The Sena 20s should have decent sound, but I guess it would need to get closer to my ears. I installed them in the cavities intended for speakers in my helmet, and they probably sit 5mm from my ears, and I guess that's why there is no bass.
The earphones work like a charm, very good audio.

I have always used ear plugs when I ride and it's nothing to do with the quality of your helmet as i've had an Arai RX7 & currently a Shoei GT Air. I have used disposables but currently use the Alpine Motosafe, but unfortunately they are getting a bit battered. Hopefully at the bike show later this year at the NEC the Ultimate ear people will be around so I can get a custom ear cast done :)
My Gt-Air sat extremely snug when I got it, my chin and jaw would hurt after wearing it but its better now.
I'm a motorcycle noob, and I did not find the noise without earplugs bad at all, something similar to driving a car with the windows down so I really did not pay much attention too it, and did not feel I needed any noise protection.
Also I did not care about music in the beginning as I said I was a noob, I wanted to know what was going on around me. Then I started driving alone and it was a little boring so I started to use the Sena 20s music feature, and the sound was crap, intercom works great though.

Trying the earphones today made me realize how bad the wind noise really is, and yes, I do need noise protection.
Since these are the in-ear type I guess they dampen noise similar as disposable plugs, and the music experience is hugely improved.
Anyone have the earphones with the plastic supports to hold them in place in your ear? (see picture below)
My old ones don't and I just wondering how it is to put on your helmet with those things, if they are a pain or not.

647179.jpg

Attachments

CVSensei

Been very tempted by the above^^ I use in ear headphones as well that are fantastic until they slip out and then you either have to pull over or suffer haha.

P

Peter

I totally confused in my previous post.

You asked about earphones and I talked about earplugs.

Alpine MotoSafe made for noise cancellation.

foxracer

I've always been a bit reluctant to use in ear headphones because I get the feeling they're completely isolate you from the noises going on outside your helmet, which on some occasions you might want to be able to hear!

menzic

I have the Bose earphones, bought them for frequent flights but have used them on the bike a few times. They work well at keeping the wind noise away, most engine noise(standard pipe) as well. I would not use them in traffic as they are a bit too good, but fine for country run.

They stay in well rarely get pulled out when putting the lid on.

Noggie

I've always been a bit reluctant to use in ear headphones because I get the feeling they're completely isolate you from the noises going on outside your helmet, which on some occasions you might want to be able to hear!
I was the same, in the beginning I went out with friends, and we used intercom and talked like we were in a car.
When I started riding alone I found myself bored after 20 minutes or so, especially out on country roads.
I did not use earplugs because I wanted to hear things around me, but I found out that most riders use earplugs for noice canceling.
After trying the earphones the noise reduction was great and the ride much more comfortable.

I don't play music in town or in traffic, but on those empty country roads some background music is nice.

I have the Bose earphones, bought them for frequent flights but have used them on the bike a few times. They work well at keeping the wind noise away, most engine noise(standard pipe) as well. I would not use them in traffic as they are a bit too good, but fine for country run.

They stay in well rarely get pulled out when putting the lid on.
Is that the ones with noice reduction?
I use a Bose noice canceling headset for my flights, but not sure I need that on the bike, the earphones themselves appear to provide enough noise protection.

menzic

@Noggie: Yes, with noise cancelling. I have always found the over ear headphones to be too hot for long periods and in the in ear buds I have had before became a bit uncomfortable(slightly painful) the Bose ones have been great, they keep some noise out without the nc switched on, but you really notice the difference. Battery lasts around 15 hours so good for long haul.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

sdrio

I use crappy Sony ones I got for £8 in PC world. They are shaped so that they barely stick out from my earhole at all, so they're comfortable.

I've used a couple of different noise cancelling ones in the past, one from Audio-technica and one from JVC. Both were OK, and the noise cancelling does work - you can listen to music on a quieter volume, so good for your ears, but they don't last long, the cable joints quite quickly break inside, and they stop working in one ear. At £50 a pop, it's an expensive hobby.

Other thing I do is always wear one of those soft under helmet hood things, which cut out a fair bit of noise and also keep the earphones in place. Mine is an Oxford one, and I've had it for more than 3 years, still going strong.

Eddieh93

Not sure if anyone has the same issue but my ear holes are a funny shape or must be as most headphones fall out when doing any sort of movement.

I have been looking at my options. I have been to the motorbike show at the excel a little while ago and attended the gadget show live last Friday where I saw another MT-07 in white....another story.

The 2 companies I have whittled it down to are;

Snugs and Ultimate Ear.

Currently the Snugs are winning but only on professionalism of their website.

The Moto version of the snugs are £299 with fitting, but the ultimate ears are with fitting about £350

Does anyone have an experience with these companies?

sdrio

I've had various in ear phones, including really pricey Audio-Technica noise cancelling ones - which were good, but they get such a beating in daily use they don't last very long and I got fed up spending £80 on new ones every 4 months.

I now use Sony basic in ear buds, which cost about £10 a pair from PC World. They're fine for low volume music, I have about 3 pairs of them floating around. These fit right inside the ear, so they are pretty snug and don't touch the inside of the lid.

Something like these.

Sony MDR-EX110LP Deep Bass Earphones - Metallic Black: Amazon.co.uk: Electronics

Eddieh93

Ye see these don't even stay in my ears!

Which is why I want them fitted, you are right they are a bit on the expensive side but I would hope that they last quite a while for that price.

sdrio

I just realised, this is an old thread, and I just almost word for word repeated my previous post, except the price went up for everything.

So just to mix it up, I had a pair of those BOSE ones years ago, but they came without the rubber hook things, and would not even think about staying in my ears. Really disappointing. That was another 80 quid mistake.

edit - Eddie, I wouldn't pay £300 for a pair of earphones, whatever they were.

Although, I did actually own a pair of Bose quietcomfort 3 noise cancelling phones a few years back, which I broke. They were £300, so I'm talking out of my arse again.

Last edited: