Dont buy a KTM!

nobull

Quick word of warning - I just bought a KTM Duke 390, and its bloody crap, don't buy a KTM! New bike, overheats constanly, fan coming on in December, sprays coolant out of reservoir & rad cap. This is the second one, first one did the same minus overheating, this is the replacement I got. Build quality makes MT07 look like a Rolls! This one has a wonky arse as the welding doesn't appear to have been done in a jig. And the seat is the most uncomfortable for 10mile commute ever! Fuelling terrible, cant hold constant revs or speed, the first one stalled loads and wouldn't start. Rear brake appears to be for show only, it doesn't actually do anything, Although the dealership have been good (gear4 if you have to buy one). Its a shame if was built a little better it would be great, so light & nimble for commuting with enough punch to be fun out of town. Learn from my mistake guys (and gals!)

Ralph

They are made in India the export ones are then shipped to KTM who supposedly pdi them
and send them on with the price more than doubled to the poor old consumer, one of those
bikes that people that get to ride one for a short time love but anyone with one long term
hate.

P

Peter

I almost placed an order 2 years ago. Although couldn't test it I read lot of good things only about it. Really liked the Duke 390.
Later read the same good things about the MT-07. Same fun factor but more power, more torque and more weight. I was in trouble...

As you can see the winner was Yamaha. It was a hard decision. The last hit gave me when I saw KTM in real life.
I'm vertically challenged but I felt it's a bicycle between my legs.

I'm sad to hear the quality problems. I like that brand.

nobull

I'd heard that they go to Austria first for quality control check - this must be a lie, why would they ship every one from India then to Austria then to destination rather than just pay people to work in India?? Even if I did believe it, its clear whatever passes for quality control in Austria doesn't translate well from English or Japanese! Credit where its due though, Gear4 have been great, especially when compared to CMC!
And Peter, i'm fortunate enough to have both - but trust me you're better off with the MT, its much more polished, just a lot heavier. I love mine so much didn't want to ride it in winter hence getting the ktm as a winter hack

Last edited:

bobh

I was thinking of a KTM 690 Enduro as a replacement for the Suzuki DRZ400S I keep in France. Not cheap, but I was hoping it might last me out (I'm getting on a bit). But I guess they are built in Austria and the build quality ought to be significantly better?

The Suzuki's a great little bike on the trails and twisty mountain roads, and always puts a smile on my face At the risk of upsetting the moderators, I'll post a photo below. But it starts to feel a bit stressed when things get straighter and faster. Maybe a DRZ400SM, with road tyres and higher gearing, would be a viable alternative to the 390 KTM as a commuter? Plenty around, at sensible prices. Usual Suzuki finish - plenty of ACF50 needed to keep them pristine, but otherwise pretty solid.