do i need to be worried?

Yaminator

Its a new bike and ive only covered 35miles / 56 kilometres. and the fuel gauge has already gone down 3 blocks...? is this right?

da1kini

Its a new bike and ive only covered 35miles / 56 kilometres. and the fuel gauge has already gone down 3 blocks...? is this right?
First of all
A full tank indicated by the graphics on the display is like 5 bars(blocks) and 3/4 bar(block) cause – you can't and shouldn't top fill the tank to the ridge.

Second
The reserve bar begins after the 6 bars(blocks) are off.

and also, when riding a new toy one seems to blip the throttle a little bit extra and take a few unmotivated stops to step of and have a look at the bike...

So yeah, everything seems normal :)

Ralph

From full as in cant get much more in that sounds like it's dropping fast but if it seems to be running
ok I would not bother till I had refueled it a time or two and worked out the mpg. mine takes a wile to
drop the first block then drops quickly but the bike does about 70 mpg.

Last edited:

Anthony

When I fill up the bike shows full for ages, then when finally the first bar disappears, the others follow quickly.

Phil_B

I guess the real question is how full it was when they handed it over to you. As others have said, when filled properly full the first block lasts a while.

At about 180 miles total spread across 6 blocks they are worth about 30 each on average though and obviously don't give you a clue if they're on the border of changing.

If the bike was just filled up just enough make all the blocks show, it is possible to drop 3 levels in 35 miles as it might have been on verge of the first straight away.

It is also an adaptive fuel gauge, so calculates based on average fuel consumption. So if you ride hard it'll drop quickly!

Yaminator

Thanks for the replys
Ps Guys i am running it in, i'm not passing 5-6k revs
I guess i should watch it from when I FILL IT UP. that way i know its filled properly. ;)

sdrio

Seems to me the fuel gauge isn't at all 'linear' - when the first bock disappears, it doesn't mean you've used 1/6 of the fuel, it's probably a bit more than that. The next 4 go relatively quickly, maybe they cover half a tank. The reserve flashing starts at around 1/4 of a tank, from what I can work out. Should be good for at least 30 miles of normal riding, but I've never tried myself or seen anyone actually test it out.

Also the economy on a new engine won't be as good. Whatever you get now will increase by about 10% after a couple of thousand miles, as things loosen up.

You can pretty much ignore the on board fuel computer too. It's OK as a guide, but it's not very accurate. I tend to reset my trip meter when I fill up, then divide litres to fill by 4.54 to get gallons, and divide that by the mileage to get mpg. Mine does around 55 - 60 mpg, but most of my riding is in heavy London traffic.

tl;dr: No, don't worry. The only time you need to pay attention to the fuel gauge is when you're running low.

Ralph

I did a check on mine, I take a interest as I do some long trips on the Round Britain Rally and have been
to Scotland twice since I got the bike 360 miles on one 340 on the other and it's surprising how far it can be
without passing a fuel station out in the sticks.
From topped right up and 6 blocks. full

5 blocks 60 miles
4 86 miles
3 107 miles
2 139 miles
1 155 miles
flashing 180 miles
empty 228 miles so 48 miles on flashing it gives a little warning it's going to stop by cutting out under acceleration
all the other injected bikes I have had have just cut dead but you dont want to be running that low.

got 13.39 ltr in so maybe you cant use the full 14
this is only a guide I was running round mostly 50/60 mph
and not much town work only do this as I have had a few
near do's 2 this year and am getting a bit oil for pushing bikes.
I recon you have about 1 uk gal left when it drops to 1 bar.

Last edited:

sdrio

48 miles on reserve - not bad. I once got 55 out of my MT03, which had me sweating . . .

228 miles on a tank is pretty good. In town, mine starts flashing at 120-130, and I've never gone more than 150 on a tank. That said, I donlt usually get much more than about 13l in there, so I could probably get another 15 miles out of it if I was feeling brave.

Good to know though.

Ralph

Dont think I would get anything like 228 in town wile on a run up Scotland in company with one of the newish
BMW vertical 800 twins both did just over 80 mpg cruising around 65/70 so the bike can be very economical
depending on conditions.

roama119

I cant believe the mpg you guys get, i dont think i have ever gone more than 130 miles on a full tank its usually about 115 , but i dont think ive ever done more than about ten miles after the last bar starts flashing.

Stil

When I fill up the bike shows full for ages, then when finally the first bar disappears, the others follow quickly.
This is actually a feature in most vehicles.

There was a study done which shows that customers felt happy with their tank showed full after filling up. There was universally negative feedback from participants when they saw the needle begin to fall so quickly after filling up and didn't feel they were getting value for money.
To counter-act this most fuel gauges are built to stay at the 'full' mark for longer even though fuel is still being used, this results in the needle moving quicker to empty once it does move off of the full mark.

DJP

Well I did 28 miles on the “Reserve” today and then got 12.33 litres in, which would imply 1.7 litres left in the tank.

(Wasn't my fault, exactly, I had the battery cable replaced on recall this week and that ended up re-setting the trip which I normally use to indicate when to fill up).

As an aside, I found out how stupidly economical this bike can be: I was easily able to make it show into the high 80s for mpg and 99.9 by running at around 45mph in 6th.

Not how I'd normally run it, but it shows what can be done when needs must.