DIY rear rack for top case

msesma

This is my first post in the forum as I have just bouhgt my brand new MT-07 :)

I plan to make it several modifications and the first one has been attaching my old 50L Givi Maxia Top case. As this top case is really big, I wanted a rack that integrate the top case with the bike as much as possible.

I have searched the market available racks, but none of them fulills wat I wanted. All of them are too high, to rear or both. And things get worse when the Givi alluminium support is attached to them. So I decided to make the rack myself. I'm not a mechanic and my welder skills are close to zero, but I like to get my hands dirty. :cool:

Al the available racks needs to somehow cut the rear side panels. So I also decided to cut them, but near the tail light in order to get the tubes out there, hiding them as much as possible. If I had used 18x2 tube instead 20x1.5 the cuts would have been smaller, but they don look so bad.

Tubes are screwed to existing chassis attachments so no modifications apart from the side panels are needed.

IMG_20151017_110324 (Small).jpgIMG_20151017_131158 (Small).jpgIMG_20151018_120113 (Small).jpgIMG_20151018_131003 (Small).jpgIMG_20151024_105716 (Small).jpgIMG_20151024_105746 (Small).jpg

sdrio

Have to say, when I read 'home made rack', I did wince slightly, but that's a very neat and discreet bit of work.

FierceGerbil

IMHO I think you did great considering you're not an engineer with access to CAD and all the manufacturing bells and whistles that the aftermarket does. I bet it's as strong or stronger than 99% of the commercial racks out there. To me there is more pride in making something yourself.

gregjet

My rear rack. No pillion seat ( we get a huge discount in total registration fees for single seat registration) so converted it to a stealth carrier.
Sorry about the orientation if it screws up. It an artifact of my phone that can't be fixed.
Don't be fooled by the looks. It isn't superlight. It's 5mm Al plate with a shaped foam/carbon fibre covering. Latches on in the same place as the seat.