Complete power loss

Envi

Hi all,

Started motorcycling few months ago. Bought my first motorcycle, the MT/FZ 07 and absolutely love the bike.
I have now gotten 1800miles (~3000km) on it, did the first maintenance at the dealer at 750miles.

The bike has now completely shut down two times on me. The oil pressure lights up all in sudden
and the bike doesn't response to throttle at all. The light goes away when I turn the bike off from
key and back on.

The oil levels looks to be good, not too low or too much.

The local dealer said they have no idea what could cause this(DUH!)?...
I'm bringing the bike in to the dealer for closer inspection today.

Anyone else experienced similar, or heard something about this?

sdrio

Envi

I have been moving all the time around 25-30mph. Now when remembering –*the clutch was pulled in when those did happen.
It wasn't anything like that the bike would have jerked. The bike just 'dies' smoothly, leaving electricity on.

msesma

Revise battery terminals. First MT-07 series were recalled because a problem with the positive terminal contacting the chassis or something like that and the symptoms where like yours. But perhaps you only have a loose terminal.

sdrio

I have been moving all the time around 25-30mph. Now when remembering –*the clutch was pulled in when those did happen.
It wasn't anything like that the bike would have jerked. The bike just 'dies' smoothly, leaving electricity on.
That still fits. The stalling issue has nothing to do with the clutch, it happens when the engine is at tickover, just as you open the throttle. There is no jerk, just the engine dies. The ignition, as you say, stays on.

It's a fueling problem.

Ralph

As Sdrio says it sounds like the cutting out issue mine did it a few times,
one thing worth checking is there are two connections to a switch on
the clutch leaver just check those are plugged in.

addy

Get Yamaha to replace you clutch switch under warranty, I had the same problem with mine. You also need to get them to increase the fueling by 2 points, that will stop the bike cutting out as a lot of us in the UK have had to do this.

Envi

Thanks for the replies.
I took the bike back to the dealer yesterday, for a replacement during this time I got to drive with MT 09, dam that's an awesome bike!

The mechanic did just call me back with 80% of the time mumbling what the cause might be, wasn't able to provide me any clear
idea OR what they are about to do with it. He was speculating that I would have stalled the bike, going too slow and with 3rd gear
which I know that hasn't been the case. (there hasn't been ANY bike jerking at all, and before the power loss I haven't changed
gears and the speed has been same, clutch in and out).

So far I have been really frustrated by the customer service i'm getting. Will post follow ups when I hear back more.

sdrio

Thanks for the replies.
I took the bike back to the dealer yesterday, for a replacement during this time I got to drive with MT 09, dam that's an awesome bike!

The mechanic did just call me back with 80% of the time mumbling what the cause might be, wasn't able to provide me any clear
idea OR what they are about to do with it. He was speculating that I would have stalled the bike, going too slow and with 3rd gear
which I know that hasn't been the case. (there hasn't been ANY bike jerking at all, and before the power loss I haven't changed

So far I have been really frustrated by the customer service i'm getting. Will post follow ups when I hear back more.
This sounds depressingly familiar.

Ralph

When you close the throttle on the overrun the ECU cut's the fuel to the engine totally,
when you pull in the clutch the engine dies before the ecu as time to start fueling again
and the engine dies, the switch on the clutch leaver gives the ecu a wakeup call to start
fueling again, it acts as a anti stall switch that is why it needs to work and be connected
quite a few have been delivered with the switch disconnected, I had the fueling turned
up a little on mine and also took a little off the plunger on the switch so it activated a
little sooner cant remember when it last stalled but its not done it this year.

addy

Thanks for the replies.

Just ask your dealer to increase the fueling by 2 points, its a 10 min job.

Envi

Got a response. They haven't found anything 'odd' off from my bike.
Suggested that they will add some data collector device to log what's going on and
I should pick up the bike and wait for the accident happening again so "we can know exactly what causes it".
Also said that anything like this hasn't happened before, according to Yamaha.

I don't feel comfortable at all by this.

Yaminator

Its clearly all waffle.. Trust me, if you dont fully understand, something aint right. (trying to cover something up all this time)..

Last edited:

addy

Got a response. They haven't found anything 'odd' off from my bike.
Suggested that they will add some data collector device to log what's going on and
I should pick up the bike and wait for the accident happening again so "we can know exactly what causes it".
Also said that anything like this hasn't happened before, according to Yamaha.

I don't feel comfortable at all by this.
Ok again just get them to increase the fueling by 2 points, problem solved...... Stop being a push over and tell them to do this.

And Yamaha knowing nothing is bs because I have reported it to them directly and many people in the uk have.

Ralph

Stress the safety aspect of it cutting out and you being rear ended, what ever they say it does happen
and as been reported and talked about on this and other forums.

Envi

Thanks Addy!

The dealer is increasing the fueling. Hopefully it will fix the issue.
I have now rode the MT09 and MT09 Tracer meanwhile. MT09 was probably the best experience on all of these bikes.

I have although lost all my spirit towards Yamaha and now considering to change over to a Street Triple.

bobh

The MT-09 is awesome, and in my opinion its build quality is significantly better than the -07. Have a look at the sister forum for the -09 to get an idea of any issues people have had with that bike.

Scim77

Get Yamaha to replace you clutch switch under warranty, I had the same problem with mine. You also need to get them to increase the fueling by 2 points, that will stop the bike cutting out as a lot of us in the UK have had to do this.
I think that Addy's advice is logical. I suspect the cutting out will be more related to fuelling, but the clutch switch is always a possibility. I used to get total cut-out after slowing rapidly from speed to a halt. I found that the engine would not blip on down-shifts and would have snuffed out completely by the time I had stopped. Logic suggested the clutch switch but it turned out to be fuelling. A combination of extremely lean idle mixture and fuel over-run cut-off left the engine with nothing to fire but fresh air. Since re-mapping at Seton Racing it has never missed a beat.

So ask the dealer for a more fuelling first. It won't eliminate over-run cut-off, you need a remap to do that, but it should help.