Comfy Seat People in UK????

grillphil

Any know or recommend a guy or gal who can modify the bog standard MT07 seat in the UK?

My rear is still recovering after a 2.5 hour ride 3 days ago:(

Any help would be a big relief. Cheers.

robodene

I did my own, but I would think that most upholsterers would do the job if you explained exactly what you want. IMHO and for me, there is not enough support for the primary need - for the 'sit' bones. I took my lead from the two humps on my bicycle seat. I rode for nearly three hours yesterday and, although it knew it, my rear survived well.

grillphil

Last edited:

Donut

Thanks robodene.

I've been looking at SussexMotorcycles as they offer the service to comfy up seats for around £110. I'll give them a call and see what they say.

............Just spoke to them & for a memory foam rebuild, it's around £75.00 plus postage both ways. Me thinks I'll be sending mine next week. I'll keep you posted.

Elite Comfort Seat Motorcycle Memory Foam Inserts at Sussexmotorcycles.com, better than gel pads for rider comfort.

Brilliant. Thanks for the information. I will also get in touch with them soon.

grillphil

After a service tomorrow, I'll whip it off and have it sent to them. Once received back, I will post some pictures, costs and a riding summary if it's not chucking it down!

Mr M

I found my bum only hurt after long rides, and as I know which these will be I bought some Altura gel cycling shorts for £30. A vast improvement and I managed a 6 hour ride home from north wales without problem. Cheaper and keeps the sharper look of the original seat.

grillphil

Seat now modified and being sent back to me as of yesterday. I expressed the fact that I had a lean bum before the alteration so the result should be interesting.

Once received I'll post a picture of the end product, then give it a run over the same journey that I suffered the agony on.

grillphil

Seat has come and is fitted back onto the MT.

seat1.jpgseat2.jpgseat3.jpgseat4.jpg

Approx 10mm thick Memory Foam has been added on top of the original foam, then re covered with original seat fabric.
A tight fit but possible.
A few wrinkles need sorting out (on back corners of seat pad) with a heat gun just to have the covering settle plus weight from me while riding so please excuse the images. The memory foam has adhesive on one side so needs some warmth to bed in. It's a shame the hot weather has passed.:rolleyes:

I've only sat on the new seat in the garage but by heck, it feels so comfy.

Rain is forecast for tomorrow so will have to wait until Sunday to repeat my journey where the torture was encountered from the original seat.

A report to follow.......

robodene

Looking foward to your report. I have extra foam and I find it gives the benefit of better absorbing the vertical movement of the bike - an extra comfort feature.

Ralph

Theres Tony Archer at Huddersfield
and Bootleg bike seats at Preston
not used any of them but have had
good reports about both.

robodene

Have you a picture of your modded seat? Would be interesting to see.
Yes, it's on here under Modifications/ "A seat Mod" (January 2016) Page 4. The bottom layer was a figure of 8 but I found myself toppling forward off it. So I extended the foam forward following the thigh bones, i.e still leaving a gap down the middle. Problem solved. My rides are 2-3 hours and I am comfy on it.

grillphil

Ok been out today to try out the modified seat and the findings were:

1. So much more comfort on the rear from the outset. Part 'A' road the onto a 'B' road.
2. 'A' road was fine with little attention to what I was supposed to be testing. I did find that I was pushed forward a little in the saddle but with a small shuffle backwards, everything was fine. Mind you I did have my Dragging Jeans on which might not have helped.
3. As for the 'B' roads, the last time they were rough to say the least with potholes & uneven surfacing. With the modification, the impacts were smoothed out by about 50% due to the extra padding in the seat. Around the twisty's, it felt planted on my rear end and comfortable instead of my sit bones in pain.
4. On the return leg, it was exactly the same & I must admit, not much thought was given to the rear which must be a good sign.

Well, a good ride totalling 2.5 hours was enjoyed in the autumn sunshine. Now writing this, there are no ill affects felt on my arse. The last time, pre mod, I was in agony so all-in-all, well worth the money to concentrate on enjoying a ride rather than trying to get the bike home due to rear pains!

I hope some of you find this useful & any questions welcome.

A happy Phil:cool:

Last edited:

johnnakay

Tony Archer is good,I've used him several times.
when I had coccyx bone problem a few years ago he cut out the portion where it hurts and it work a treat.
I would highly recommend him and he is cheap compared to others I've enquired to.