Buying an ex-demo bike - pros & cons?

bhd

Hi all,
first post here, and I haven't yet introduced myself because I don't yet own an MT07! I'm thinking of switching from my ER6N, and as usual have picked the worst time of the year to go bike-hunting, as my local dealer can't get new stock until September (not that far away really).

However, they do have their demonstrator up for sale, MT07 ABS, in grey, less than 150 miles on the clock so not even run in yet(!), up for 5249UKP. I'm not in any screaming rush to buy, but it got me wondering about the pros and cons. Pro's - it's nearly new and it's discounted, cons I guess it could be a bit tatty if test riders haven't treated it with care. As for running in, how much damage could actually be caused by a handful of riders in just over 100 miles? Even if it had been thrashed (which I don't think is that likely), it's still under warranty...

Open to the floor...
bhd (Bad Hair Day)

Gee

150miles is bugger all milage mate, Don't think people have had much opportunity to abuse it on test rides with that on the clock,

Even if it may have had a wheelie or two but that ain't going to break it.

Even if its been ridden hard it just helps with the break-in. Mine wasn't pampered and rode it as normal from day one.

nobull

Got my R6 in similar circumstances, no problems with that 6 years on, pretty sure it will have been treated harshly but no problems to speak of. If anything the MT will have had a much easier time, little point in revving them compared to an R6, but having said that I didn't obey running in procedure when I took a test ride! Doubt anyone would wheelie it on test ride either, its not why you buy a bike, I just like to check the handling and nature of the engine plus brakes. If it were me I'd seriously consider it, especially if you can get a few quid extra off it or some extras thrown in! Good luck either way!

Donut

Got my R6 in similar circumstances, no problems with that 6 years on, pretty sure it will have been treated harshly but no problems to speak of. If anything the MT will have had a much easier time, little point in revving them compared to an R6, but having said that I didn't obey running in procedure when I took a test ride! Doubt anyone would wheelie it on test ride either, its not why you buy a bike, I just like to check the handling and nature of the engine plus brakes. If it were me I'd seriously consider it, especially if you can get a few quid extra off it or some extras thrown in! Good luck either way!

Pretty much agree except that I'm guessing most of the miles may well have been done by the shop staff to give it a few miles of running in before letting it loose as a demo bike. Probably more of a pre-registered bike than a true demo, which usually have a few hundred to a couple of thousand miles.

Wouldn't have any problems with buying it but never hurts to try and shave a little off the price and/or get some extras or service vouchers.

menzic

If you don't fancy the ex-demo, just pick the colour you want and start phoning around. A lot of dealers will deliver if you don't fancy picking it up yourself, which is what I did. They were only about 45 miles away but getting delivery saved someone having to drive me up there and meant I could have my first ride on a bike in 6 years on my local roads.

bhd

Well bugger me Bob, from "not in a screaming hurry" I seem to have bought myself a bike! Went out this morning to get my ER6N serviced, and had a test ride at dealer A to pass the time. Talked to dealer A afterwards and they described availability of new bikes as "dire". Soooo, went home via dealer B, who had the demo bike up for sale, had a chat with them, told them that the hard seat was a deal-breaker and if they could do me a deal on the comfort seat I'd take it today, and bingo, I'm two-bikes bhd!

Never in my life have I bought a bike/car because it was a bargain. My last bike (SV650) I had for 12 years, and only moved it on because I couldn't rely on it anymore, bought the ER6N, and only a year later, the MT, mostly because it was a humungous bargain! I could get used to this bike-buying lark.

Frankly I blame you lot for encouraging me, so thanks for leading me astray!
bhd.

Donut

bhd.[/QUOTE]

You're most welcome

William

Well bugger me Bob, from "not in a screaming hurry" I seem to have bought myself a bike! Went out this morning to get my ER6N serviced, and had a test ride at dealer A to pass the time. Talked to dealer A afterwards and they described availability of new bikes as "dire". Soooo, went home via dealer B, who had the demo bike up for sale, had a chat with them, told them that the hard seat was a deal-breaker and if they could do me a deal on the comfort seat I'd take it today, and bingo, I'm two-bikes bhd!

Never in my life have I bought a bike/car because it was a bargain. My last bike (SV650) I had for 12 years, and only moved it on because I couldn't rely on it anymore, bought the ER6N, and only a year later, the MT, mostly because it was a humungous bargain! I could get used to this bike-buying lark.

bhd.
How do you compare your SV650 and your ER6N to your MT-07 performance wise? I have a 2007 650R (ER6F) and am considering trading. Thank you.

Last edited:

bhd

How do you compare your SV650 and your ER6N to your MT-07 performance wise? I have a 2007 650R (ER6F) and am considering trading. Thank you.
Hi William,
I'll let you know when I've had the MT07 for a bit, (haven't picked it up yet). I went from a rather elderly (2002) SV to the ER6, so found the ER much smoother, especially at low revs (injection over normal carburation), and lighter, but somehow it just never had quite the character of the SV. It's a cracking filtering tool, very light and narrow, but I've always been... underwhelmed by it. Hoping to me more enthused by the MT!

First impressions from a couple of test rides are that it is less vibey than the ER, although I'd never found that an issue, and the seat is appalling - had to go for the comfort seat as I couldn't survive 40 minutes on the plank of wood that comes as standard.

William

Hi William,
I'll let you know when I've had the MT07 for a bit, (haven't picked it up yet). I went from a rather elderly (2002) SV to the ER6, so found the ER much smoother, especially at low revs (injection over normal carburation), and lighter, but somehow it just never had quite the character of the SV. It's a cracking filtering tool, very light and narrow, but I've always been... underwhelmed by it. Hoping to me more enthused by the MT!

First impressions from a couple of test rides are that it is less vibey than the ER, although I'd never found that an issue, and the seat is appalling - had to go for the comfort seat as I couldn't survive 40 minutes on the plank of wood that comes as standard.
Yes, please let me know what you think of the MT-07. I've heard over and over again what a great bike the SV is, and was considering
buying a new one with the fairing or a used naked model until the MT-07 came along. I bought the ER6F new in 2007. It has been
bullet-proof reliable but lacks character in the lower gears. It certainly shines on the highway though.

bhd

Hi William,
I've had my MT for a mighty 8 hours now, and have ridden it for less than 1, but it is so much better than the ER6N. It just feels like a proper, grown-up bike!

I don't know what the market is like where you are, or what suits you, but if I were in your position I would seriously consider a used SV (I had the naked model). If it doesn't float your boat you can move it on and go for the MT without losing too much money. If you go for the new MT you're going to (a) not get to try the SV and (b) lose money the moment it leaves the dealership. This time last year I replaced my 12 year-old SV with the ER6, and jokingly suggested that I'd give it a year, and that's exactly how it turned out.

I'm probably not the person to ask about evaluating a bike in performance terms, but for character, either the SV or the MT beat the ER6 hands down.

William

Hi William,
I've had my MT for a mighty 8 hours now, and have ridden it for less than 1, but it is so much better than the ER6N. It just feels like a proper, grown-up bike!

I don't know what the market is like where you are, or what suits you, but if I were in your position I would seriously consider a used SV (I had the naked model). If it doesn't float your boat you can move it on and go for the MT without losing too much money. If you go for the new MT you're going to (a) not get to try the SV and (b) lose money the moment it leaves the dealership. This time last year I replaced my 12 year-old SV with the ER6, and jokingly suggested that I'd give it a year, and that's exactly how it turned out.

I'm probably not the person to ask about evaluating a bike in performance terms, but for character, either the SV or the MT beat the ER6 hands down.
You're right about losing a lot of money if I trade in my ER6F (650R) for the MT-07. I would have to part with about $4,600 Canadian. If I could
find a used SV 650 Naked from a dealer, I'd consider trading for it.