Best Insurance in Canada?

Guru Woodman

We were discussing insurance and quotes in another thread. but I thought it might be a good idea to start a separate one.

This way, we might be able to find a decent insurer for your specific Canadian province.
I see that quotes are all over the place and some companies don't even insure motorcycles.

FYI, I'm 50, have my Canadian licence since 2011 (but riding over 25 years) no tickets etc.. My current bike is a '08 Yamaha WR250X and I pay just over $500 a year for basic insurance in Ontario at JEVCO, now called Intact.

I have asked my current broker to make a quote me for a 2015 FZ-07 and will post it here as soon as I get it.

I also tried Riders Plus Insurance where you can do an online quote. This number popped up: $1,101.00 for basic, 1 Million liability, no collision / comprehensive coverage etc.

I am sure there are better deals out there.

Kipawa

50 years old riding since 16 (length of time riding I am told is the heaviest factor) TD Meloche Monnex insurance $225 for a 2010 Ninja 250R in Barrie ON (location another big factor).

As soon as I get my VIN from dealer will get quote and post. I did it online for a FZ-09 as 07 not on their list and got around $400

Guru Woodman

Years of riding only counts if you have them in Canada, which makes no sense to me. When I moved to Canada I had to redo my licence, not only M but also G. My riding skills surprised them, I guess 25 years of driving a motorcycle in Europe rubs off when driving here lol

Kipawa

Yes length of time riding I referred too for insurance purposes is licensed time in Canada. Of course how the insurance companies want it unfortunately!! Only way they can track you by your licence or previous insurance here in Canada.

So I have 34 years licenced but I have actually been riding since I was 8 years old but they didn't care about the time before I was licensed. LOL

Guru Woodman

My quotes are rolling in. And they are all over the place. The first one was a whopping $1,893 at Royal Sun Alliance.
The second one was $992 after explaining what I exactly wanted. Both are on a company policy and combined with my (4) cars.

Then I received a quote from Intact Insurance for $793 (just liability). And that is based on a comparable motorcycle (so it is approximate) because a FZ-07 did not come up and they had to pick something comparable. I gave them a Kawa ER-6N and Honda NC700SA as reference.

So the quest goes on. It always surprises me how different (and expensive) insurance in Ontario is.
I consider insuring a motorcycle with my details a low risk for a insurance company. It is a seasonal vehicle for pleasure only. Riding season is short here too, basically only a couple of months. I have a snowmobile for the winter season, you would think insurance companies would jump into the niche and combine the two.

L

Lonerider

I misplaced the note i took when i called for a quote. All i found was a note that said 262$. It's similar with the cost of my SV650S back in 2003.

Guru Woodman

I was in touch with State Farm a well respected company with "usually" competitive offerings.

This is their quote:

The new bike would be - stand-alone 1469.81/year. With a qualifying auto it would be close to 885.15.
Are you kiddin' me?

Hellix

My insurance quotes are all over as well.. Im 30 years old with 6 years experience. My last bike was a 750 GSX-R and it was $1200 a year. Im assuming this bike will be around $800 - $900. I should have my VIN today or tomorrow so I can get an official quotes.

Kipawa

Just got quoted approx $700 for the year, hard to nail down exact figure coz they can only give me exactly how much extra on top of my current I am paying for the balance of the year. $700 includes $49 for complete replacement cost for first two years if write it off etc. 50 years old and licensed in Canada for 34 years.

Kipawa

OK got VIN today and got final insurance cost of $591 for a year ; 50 years old and licensed in Canada for 34 years; TD Meleoche Monnex.

Kipawa

So yours $261 plus $500 about $761 per year in Quebec (not sure how old you are or how long licensed)

Mine $591 plus $65 about $656 per year Ontario (based on 34 years licensed here)

So essentially comparable really.