Best $20 I have spent

tw586

My 07 is now a full 1 year old so as part of the service I decided to change the front fork oil, Used Motul SAE5w semi synthetic
When i drained the oil forks I noticed 2 things
oil level was 15 to 20 mm lower than spec
The oil appears to be Automatic trans fluid
It smells and feels like ATF and has the same color
so, a full flush out with seal safe white spirit and new oil. re assy and road test

Well Im very surprised the difference! Not so bouncy and harsh in the front and a more compliant ride.
the trade off is a less focused turn in on corners However the softer front is not as susceptible to surface irregularity's and is far more predictable.
I must say Im impressed and all for $20 Aust!

D

Deleted member 20

Stock is 10W fork oil. Replacing with 5W oil would typically lead to less dampening and a more bouncy fork. If I were to change oil I would go with a synthetic 15W or 20W. Or???

Thinner 5W oil with less dampening might be softer and more compliant (reacting faster) but is that better fot the MT?

Last edited by a moderator:

tw586

I am only 70kg so the front is way too stiff when stock, this has changed the whole character of the bike for the better for me. Aust roads are shit and the ride is very harsh in standard set up, now all i have to do is the rear.

geot

You said that you measured less stock oil in the fork..
After filling it up, do you still notice the clunking noise from the front end?

tw586

I had never encountered the clunk from the front end, the only noise from the front of My bike was low speed tyre rumble from the bridgstones

Welsh Wizard

Hi tw586,

For what it is worth, I have an MT-07 that I am about to change out the rear shock on. I did a bit of research before hand and then decided to fit a Wilbers (German) Type 640 Road rear shock. It is currently on order from Germany.

I also intend to replace the oil in the front forks with 15W oil, plus I intend fitting a pair of front fork adjusters to allow me to stiffen up the spring tension which I am hoping will lessen the amount of front fork "dive" when the front brake is applied.

When I have finished these suspension mods I'll post the results on the Forum for everyone to see.

BTW, whereabouts in Australia do you live? I live at Samford, which is located 20kms north west of Brisbane.

Regards,

Alan ( aka Welsh Wizard )