Battery

Darren

Hi, I have noticed recently that after 18 months of ownership that my bike has been slow to turn over. I have checked the battery and it's down to 11.8v which is low. I have put my optimate charger on it to bring the the voltage back up and hope the battery will recover. I use my bike for commuting every day but has stood for a couple of weeks over Christmas.

Anyone else had to go out and buy new batteries yet?

bobh

Keep it on the Optimate for a while. Unless it's ever been fully discharged, that should bring it back to full performance.

Mine is one of the first UK bikes - it was a dealer's demonstrator, so I'm sure it didn't get a charge every day. Then for much of last year it sat in a warm garage in the south of France, with only the occasional charge to bring it back up. And it's fine.

It's commonly thought that an hour or so of running will bring the battery back up to full charge. Wrong - you need several hours, and that's not including any slow-marching in traffic. So if your bike is used for commuting with a lot of slow stuff, it really does need that regular top-up.

Ralph

The battery on this bike is a bit small the starter is also supposedly a light weight one helped to
turn what is quite a big twin with high compression by a auto decompresser, mine as always seemed
a little slow but even after sitting for a week or two always fires up, 11.8 is low would expect 12.5
ish and just over 14 engine running mine charges even at tick over I would check it's charging and
if that is ok suspect the battery unless you have turned the key to far over when parked that may flatten
the battery a bit.