Arrow "shortie" exhaust concerns and discussion.

Migglesworth

Ahoy! I was intent on installing the Arrow dark alum and mounting it shortie style on my FZ-07, and I approached a fuel controller and exhaust vendor about this. His reply was interesting and I haven't seen much on here or other forums with regards to the performance aspects of mounting the Arrow in this manner. Below is the mail from the gentleman I had been speaking with about ordering the fuel controller and exhaust from. I am stoked he took the time to find this info out, and before I make any decisions I wanted to put this to the masses. I was curious if anyone here has anything to add about this. Thanks for your time.

We had no idea people were doing this to their exhaust.

I shared this with our head tech and asked him what he thought.
From a performance stand point, this modification is not recommended.

The added length in the tube creates a good amount of volume and is key in building back pressure which results in torque.
This is why the Akra Carbon has the twist in their exhaust header.

Removing this tube will also increase the likelihood for reversion. Reversion is when fresh air is sucked up into the exhaust in between combustion pulses.
The added fresh air results in popping and backfiring. This may be a side effect that can’t be tuned out through fueling. The shorter the exhaust, the higher likelihood for reversion.
Drag pipes are notorious for this, but drag pipes are meant for drag racing at WOT, not for cruising around town throughout the entire rpm range.

Another thing to think about; European exhaust manufacturers are forced by law to produce an exhaust that improves power. They cannot sell anything that decreases power.
This length of tubing could be essential in creating that power. If you look at the exhaust pictures in that thread, that length of tube is pretty substantial and they increase tube diameter as well to increase volume.
By taking this tube out, you could be lowering performance even below stock. It will probably perform at high rpms, but it might ruin the nice torque curve the bike currently has.

On the flip side, some motor designs are not greatly affected by the exhaust. The shortie style mount may not significantly affect performance. We have not been able to test it so we don’t know for sure.
From an exhaust design standpoint, the shortie style mount goes against the fundamentals of an exhaust with good performance.

If you want the short look but don’t want to be moving backwards, I would recommend the Akra Carbon.

Also, the fuel controller settings that we recommend for the Arrow exhaust may not be the best settings if you choose to not install that length of pipe.
You may have to adjust the settings further to get the bike tuned properly.

I don’t mean to be a debbie downer and ruin your exhaust plans, but I want you to have a good performing bike and for you to feel like your investment in the exhaust was worth the gains.

Alex_AC

quite interesting. Might change mine for the long style to see if there is any change performance wise,

Rousey

quite interesting. Might change mine for the long style to see if there is any change performance wise,
Hi Alex, I have ordered an Arrow and have it booked in to fit next week wit a DNA filter . Did you "feel" a difference over stock when you fitted your Arrow exhaust shortie style?

Alex_AC

Honestly, I don't know if it's the sound but i truly felt more power. I have the 35 kw version and the first day I was astonished with it. Probably just suggestion but yet a nice feeling :)

cosmikdebriis

Yes, shouldn't be too difficult to add the middle bit and see if it makes a difference. I'm well used to it without the centre section so should be able to tell any difference.

Don't know about anyone else but my Arrow system has the "twist" in the headers much the same as the original. Also it would appear the over all length would be about the same so not so sure what he's on about there?

I certainly get some of the "reversion" mentioned, though I kinda like that.

Though what we really need is someone with a dyno.

Migglesworth

I am still talking with that vendor, and it is possible that they can dyno both versions. I am still waiting to find out if the individual who loaned the bike to the shop wouldn't mind. I'll let you all know if/when I hear back about this.

PeaceMaker

My shortie arrow also backfires a lot.. but I've noticed a definitive raise in low rpm torque.. can't really notice any improvements on high rpm.. and top speed is about the same.. although some times I get the ideia of reaching over 200 (km/h) faster than before.

Hidiman

i'm concern about the same thing. i'm thinking to order next month on ebay and i'll fit it the shortie style. so i'm looking forward the see the dyno test result..(sorry about my english if it's something wrong about the grammer)

jeppebm

Now THATS reply worth applauding. A vendor really being into his customers questions and situation. He could have just answered what they sell the commandors for and then left it at that. That is great customerservice!

Alex_AC

well, mounted the long configuration and made a short trip. I didn't notice any difference whatsoever. Keep in mind that I ride the 35 kw version. What I did notice is a noticeable reduction of popping and I'm starting to like the looks of the long configuration better than the short one, I think it looks more aggressive so all in all I think I will keep it as it is right now.

Here's a picture of the exhaust in long style if you're wondering how it matches with the bike:

jeppebm

I think it looks okay :) - ive ordered IXIL HyperLow myself. Wanna keep the look of the "uninterrupted" rearend look by something in similar length to the original, but yet with a VERY different sound. Since everyone else here in Denmark had Akra mounted on their from the beginning - me having ridden mine with stock for about a month first will learn the TRUE appriciation of the NEW sound and look haha :D

IXIL-Hyperlow-XL-Auspuff-Yamaha-MT-07.jpg

Igor

Must admit I really like that hyper flow ixil (kinda think I bought the wrong one now!)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Livestrong

I also have the Arrow in shorty style and did a test today, this topic made me doubt but now I'm sure.
I reinstalled the Original exhaust, take a ride to a nice carfree road and put the gas open, made a starting and ending point in my head (sign and tree)
at the starting point I started at 70kmh in 6th gear! at the ending point top speed was 192kmh.
went back home to put my Arrow shorty back on and again went for a ride to the same road, so, same distance, same weather, top speed was 204kmh!!!

So it took me a complete day but now I don't have to doubt anymore about possible performance disadvantage.

A few notes, the speeds are the top speeds over that distance, it could probably go a little bit more and I also have a DNA air filter.
The Arrow exhaust is with DB-killer but I made long sleeves in it instead of the holes.

sven11

Whats the conclusion on the back pressure and back fire potential issues? What can be effected on the bike?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ReGo

I have picked up my bike last Friday and now I'm just waiting for my Arrow exhaust to arrive at the dealer. It seams that by installing it "shortie-style" you loose Arrow's warranty and by installing an exhaust other than Akrapovic's Yamaha-sponsored one you risk loosing the warranty on the bike. However, my dealer assured me that if it was him installing the Arrow exhaust, he would accept any warranty claims regarding the bike, provided that they would not be direct consequences of operating Arrow's exhaust.

Torque

There appears to be so much mis-direction given by dealers on the warranty issue. The bottom line is the exhaust will be covered by the exhaust manufacturers warranty but the rest of the bike is still covered by the bike manufactuers warranty UNLESS they can prove that any damage to the bike was directly caused by the fitting or operation of the exhaust. But this is kinda true of any warranty claim if the manufacturer can prove that the damage was caused by a factor outside of their control, e.g. misuse of the bike.

Now for a dealer to suggest that this is only true if he fits the exhaust is not true. But I've just read your post again and I'm not completely sure that this was the case, but it was inferred by your wording. Sorry for the rant it just makes me mad sometimes that a lot of dealers seem to think that they're part of a protection racket.

ReGo

Nope, that is exactly what I meant. I was told that if I went to another YAMAHA dealer with a warranty claim and an aftermarket exhaust other than Akrapovic, I would probably not be successful in that claim. I know this sounds a lot like the dealer trying to get me to buy it from him but to be honest I would not be the least bit surprised if YAMAHA did indeed consider the warranty void if you had an aftermarket exhaust fitted without their "approval". It's the same with insurance companies: any excuse is a good excuse to not pay the money!