Are parts expensive for the MT-07?

William

Are parts expensive on the MT-07? Say the bike fell over? How much $ would it cost for the plastic piece on side on gas tank?
I have a 2007 ER6F, and although OEM fairing pieces aren't cheap, they're still somewhat reasonable; and of course, there's all kinds of other parts on Ebay. I was interested in a 2006 Honda CBR600F4i before until I found out the prices of the fairing pieces. Over 380 pounds for some pieces.

nobull

I bought the 3 plastic tank panels, & 2 coloured side front mudguard pieces (ie big piece not included) for £260, which included a 10% discount. I did this to change from silver race blu to grey race blu. Personally although I think that is very steep, its not as bad as some fairing prices. Bike manufacturers take the piss with parts prices though, as there's barely any pattern parts to compete with. Oh and when I lost a fairing bolt from the frame cover, I found it was completely unique to Yamaha & unavailable from anywhere else - the price was £2.70! For one small bolt! If it were a usual m6 bolt you can buy 50 for this price!

Ralph

Better than many bikes and the bikes are so cheap you could always buy another for parts.
:rolleyes:

bobh

First thing I do when I buy a bike is fit crash bungs to save the worst of the damage if it falls over. One lesson learned the hard way! :confused:

Noggie

Well, this is how business is run guys.
Yamaha don't have that much profit on each sold bike, it's in parts sale the money is. This is the same for most businesses.
Also Yamaha has to provide a warranty for the parts they sell. If your part fails they have to give you a new one, so they also has to take in a presentage of warranty claims when pricing the product, along with a profit margin.

It's just how business work.
If you buy something cheap on eBay you don't care about returning it or make a fuzz if it breaks. But if it's a Yamaha part you will be at the dealer spilling your guts expecting them to fix/replace it for free.
And that is why Oem parts are so expensive.
And then there is selective pricing, but that is another story.

sdrio

I remember on of the bike mags in the 90s doing a test to see how much it would cost to buy a complete bike through the dealers spares departments.

I can't remember the exact numbers, but it was more or less 5 grand for the new bike (A Kawazaki ZZR600 I think), they were expecting the spares bill to come to about 40 grand, but in the end it was about 17.

Not really as scandalous as they were hoping for, obviously.

sdrio

Bumping this thread, with some detail.

Some knob bent my clutch lever out in a parking bay last week (obviously didn't feel the need to stop or leave any details), so I had to replace it.

I got a pattern replacement from Ebay for £5.50, and paid a quid extra for first class post. It was a perfect match, you can't tell it's not original. So, six and a half quid for that.

While I was replacing it, I decided to clean / lube the clutch cable, and discovered that was starting to fray at the lever end, so I decided to replace that. It was £13.50 for a genuine Yamaha one.

Seems to me, replacing a lever and cable for £20.00 (bearing in mind the lever wasn't original) is a bit of a bargain. I was expecting those parts to be at least 30 quid each.

Also happened to notice from the packaging on the lever, it's exactly the same as the one used on my 15 year old R1.