Anyone else noticed this new phenomenon with gopro's / other cameras?

sdrio

You might have seen a while ago we were talking about ABS brakes, and the phenomenon of 'risk compensation' came up. Broadly speaking, it is the tendency for someone to change their behavior when they perceive less risk. So in the case of ABS, it may be that the rider feels he is better able to avoid accidents and will ride faster or closer to the vehicle in front. There are quite a few different examples, but it is a fairly well researched and documented thing.

I've noticed a new one. This is a big generalisation, and doesn't apply to everyone so you're not getting picked on here.

It works like this. I am seeing some riders with Gopros (or other head mounted video cameras) being much more confrontational or aggressive than those without. This also applies to cyclists. How this manifests itself is little more than a tendency for whoever is doing something unusual (or stupid, or aggressive) to more often than usual have a mounted camera.

So what does this mean? It makes me suspect that (maybe only subconsciously), they feel a need to create a bit of drama to record.

We need a name for this. I'm thinking 'gopro sydrome', but something snappier would be better.

jeppebm

I just throwing this out there ;) that is only in some very specific countries that applies to. In Denmark we wanna look at the photage for the fun of it and the places we go, IF it turns out to be beautiful. Roadbrutality almost doesnt exist in Denmark. So people with actioncams to be offensive or aggressive is not the link.

The link is the driver and what country he is from - Russia is properly the worst place so far.

Just the intention of FILMING your own stupidity? is retarded and kind of neanderthal-ish. Who in their RIGHT mind would showcase their lack of respect, shortminded attitude and maybe even lack of IQ. Then again if they lack IQ maybe thats why they post it haha ;) - point being - dumb people will always be dumb.

But the first thing I think of when going to buy a GoPro or other actioncams, is "i wanna see my own riding style from different angels" - second is "and then the scenery!".

Normal people even blur their numberplate and speedometer. In Denmark we have had not many, but a few cases where people got turned in to the police based on a youtube video, and got fined for actually documenting them selves that they broke the law. See where i am going. WHY on earth would we behave badly and then SHOW it off? its absolutely bizarre to me.

As a matter of fact, a saying just came to mind - a danish one. Say a geek asked a blond, not so computerinformed chick, a computer hardware-related question - she would reply: "No idea, to me that is like a town in Russia - i have no idea where and what it can do"

That applies to the state of mind these people you apperantly encountered - their behaviour is like a town in Russia to me, very hard to relate to!

Last edited:

sdrio

I just throwing this out there ;) that is only in some very specific countries that applies to. In Denmark we wanna look at the photage for the fun of it and the places we go, IF it turns out to be beautiful. Roadbrutality almost doesnt exist in Denmark. So people with actioncams to be offensive or aggressive is not the link.

The link is the driver and what country he is from - Russia is properly the worst place so far.
You're probably right.

Most of my driving is in heavy traffic, which is where you'd see this sort of thing more often.

sdrio

Just the intention of FILMING your own stupidity? is retarded and kind of neanderthal-ish. Who in their RIGHT mind would showcase their lack of respect, shortminded attitude and maybe even lack of IQ. Then again if they lack IQ maybe thats why they post it haha ;) - point being - dumb people will always be dumb.

But the first thing I think of when going to buy a GoPro or other actioncams, is "i wanna see my own riding style from different angels" - second is "and then the scenery!".
I think it's exactly that. It's almost certainly people who are predisposed to being aggressive drivers who would do it.

As for why would they post the evidence, I don't know either, but there are plenty of Youtube videos of people claiming to have been the victim of another driver when it's quite clear they could easily have avoided the problem, or have created it themselves.

The thought occurred to me when someone on a bike was being a giant dick about queuing in traffic, he was just carving his way through everyone else (cars, bikes and cyclists) without apparently giving a shit, and I could see he was making sure after he whizzed past someone, he made sure his camera was pointing to where they'd be if they tried to close the gap he was shoving his way into.

Viking

You might have seen a while ago we were talking about ABS brakes, and the phenomenon of 'risk compensation' came up. Broadly speaking, it is the tendency for someone to change their behavior when they perceive less risk. So in the case of ABS, it may be that the rider feels he is better able to avoid accidents and will ride faster or closer to the vehicle in front. There are quite a few different examples, but it is a fairly well researched and documented thing.

I've noticed a new one. This is a big generalisation, and doesn't apply to everyone so you're not getting picked on here.

It works like this. I am seeing some riders with Gopros (or other head mounted video cameras) being much more confrontational or aggressive than those without. This also applies to cyclists. How this manifests itself is little more than a tendency for whoever is doing something unusual (or stupid, or aggressive) to more often than usual have a mounted camera.

So what does this mean? It makes me suspect that (maybe only subconsciously), they feel a need to create a bit of drama to record.

We need a name for this. I'm thinking 'gopro sydrome', but something snappier would be better.
I got a snappier term for it - stupid. You can't fix stupid...

nobull

I respect your opinion, but not sure I agree. I've been considering getting an action camera, but in a roundabout way its because I'm getting older and more cautious. My commute is like a battle ground at times, coming from rural Cumbria and commuting in non stop jams in Derby I see some appalling driving (and occasionally riding) where rights of way are replaced by who dares wins attitudes. Previously I would never have considered one for fear the police may pull me just to check the footage, but my stupid days are pretty much behind me now (by which i mean speeding, I've never crashed on the road), and if I did have a camera i would certainly be even more cautious regarding speeding. If people are being more aggressive on or off the bike with a go pro then they deserve all they get, from the public and the police, for their stupidity! As for cyclists...

Ralph

I always though many of the riders/drivers that fit cameras are the ones that get into more accidents
and near misses than anyone else but think it's always someone else to blame when the
problem is often between their own ears.

Last edited:

Torque

It's an amazing coincidence that this thread has woken up today because earlier today I finally fitted my SJ4000 (cheap GoPro) to my helmet. I will be riding my usual commute tomorrow morning so I'll report back here tomorrow evening as to whether it has made me a better or worse rider :p

I will say, however, that last Thursday I would have loved to have had it on and filming a van with trailer jumping a red light so blatently late that he couldn't even look at me when I finally pulled along side him to get his attention.

DeadHead

I have an action camera for various reasons.To have footage in the case of an accident be it mine or another I witness.

I went on a group ride last week with another forum last week, hadn't met them before, had a great days riding. Someone mentioned if was a shame no one had a camera. Well mine is well hidden, I edited the footage and sent them a link to the unlisted footage. She was chuffed.

sdrio

I have an action camera for various reasons.To have footage in the case of an accident be it mine or another I witness.

I went on a group ride last week with another forum last week, hadn't met them before, had a great days riding. Someone mentioned if was a shame no one had a camera. Well mine is well hidden, I edited the footage and sent them a link to the unlisted footage. She was chuffed.
I did say I was generalising - I think these cameras are a great idea, and I'm definitely not saying people shouldn't use them.

I've just seen a few cases where I (and a few people around me) are left thinking 'What's your problem?', when someone dives into a non existent gap and gives everyone the flying finger as they exit, barely surviving the manoeuvre.

Turns out, sometimes, they happen to be wearing a camera.

Torque

It's an amazing coincidence that this thread has woken up today because earlier today I finally fitted my SJ4000 (cheap GoPro) to my helmet. I will be riding my usual commute tomorrow morning so I'll report back here tomorrow evening as to whether it has made me a better or worse rider :p

I will say, however, that last Thursday I would have loved to have had it on and filming a van with trailer jumping a red light so blatently late that he couldn't even look at me when I finally pulled along side him to get his attention.
Findings from my first day riding with an action cam: I rode exactly the same :p