Akrapovic vs Warranty

ReGo

Hiya!

I'm probably getting the mt-07 quite soon from my local dealer and I'm seriously considering having the Akrapovic full exhaust system (from Yamaha's list of official extras) installed. However, I was wondering if any of you guys have done this, and if so, were you able to keep your warranty with Yamaha. It could be my overall ignorance on the matter but I was under the impression that by having an aftermarket exhaust installed the warranty will be canceled. Another question, did you guys also install the extra CAT? Does it reduce the noise in some manner or is it just to reduce emissions? And can it easily be removed and reattached several times, like the baffle/db-killer?

Thanks guys!

Noggie

I did get the Akra when I got my bike.
I opted to buy it from Yamaha, and thus the warranty must be valid.
A manufacturer cannot offer optional equipment that voids the warranty.

However thay may get difficult if you got an Akra through another vendor, the difference is that the Yamaha Akra has a etched logo, and the normal ones have a sticker.
also using other brands may void the warranty.
However I think they must prove that the mod you made is the cause if the failure.

Mine came with the CAT, yes its easy to remove/install, but I have not tried to so I dont know if there is much of a sound difference. its much easier than the baffle.as it sits in the joint, you might have to remove it to get to the baffle
I run a non modified version, and I really dont think it needs to be louder, then it would just be a pain to ride.

da1kini

Hi,
Both akra systems, sticker and laserengraved version, is the same system and they are made for this bike and the warranty is not effected if you run it with cat and baffle in. If you remove the baffle and cat it is not included in the warranty any more. It says on the yamaha site:

Fully developed and produced by Akrapovič for closed circuit use only, unless fitted with the optional Akrapovič Catalytic Converter. When not fitted with the optional Catalytic Converter this exhaust system is excluded from Yamaha warranty terms and conditions.

Last edited:

KEVINJSTANLEY

hi all

I have like Noggie got the yam Akra without DB AND CAT I was told by dealers I was covered with the 2 yr warranty

Nuggets

reading the warranty terms will dispel the myth that your warranty is invalid for not having the cat and baffle. simply the part fitted isn't covered, if the part then causes damage to the bike that damage isn't covered either. you don't automatically lose your bike warranty for fitting it, you don't lose your warranty for not having the cat or baffle in, Yamaha just won't honour the warranty if somehow the exhausts damages the engine or another part of the stock bike and it's proven to be the part you fitted that caused the damage (that's the subjective bit they will argue). Dealer fitting is a good idea if you are not confident to do it yourself, in the case of the akropovic if it's being sold to you as an "authorised Yamaha part" ( do check first and get them to write that on the proof of sale), then the bike warranty will be honoured if a problem arises and the exhaust is the cause. It does not mean the exhaust itself is covered for two years!