ABS and wheelies

def

so i have been riding my MT-07 for about 1.5 months now and ofc i cant resist the wheelies when theres an oportunity xD

but what im confused about is that some times the ABS system shuts down or something and the ABS light will be on untill i restart the system and sometimes this does not happen :S even tho i wheelie about the same distance and speeds.
(no that good yet so i cant get very far)
from last night i have also seen that the ABS light does not turn on when the bike dont move as it should be doing. the system works tho, no problem at all.

anyone else have seen this problems?

Ralph

Why it comes on and needs a reset after a wheelie is that the wheel speeds get so far
out of sinc that the system says thats not right and shuts down till you reset it.

def

Why it comes on and needs a reset after a wheelie is that the wheel speeds get so far
out of sinc that the system says thats not right and shuts down till you reset it.
yeah i know how the ABS system works. but what i mean is what makes the system to shutdown some times and sometimes not? no one can pop a wheelie and keep both wheels spin at the exact same rate. and as i said the wheelies are pretty much the same when it comes to distance and speed.

Ralph

You may think they are the same but the abs is measuring it maybe it knows something you dont.

:)

def

You may think they are the same but the abs is measuring it maybe it knows something you dont.

:)
no clue what u mean :p the abs system is pretty simpel, it meassures the rotation of the back and front wheel, and then loosen the brakes on the wheel that rotates slower then the other for a fraction of a secound.

but i thought about it and it might be so that i accually without being aware pressing the rear brakepedal. i never use the brake when i wheelie but needs to be rdy incase :p but a light touch can maybe make the ABS system to shutdown since the front and backwheel rotate with diffrent speeds.

and what i know the mt-07 does not have a system that disconnect the ABS function during wheelies like the ktm 690s have.

will make a test now when i ride home from work :)

def

ok so i tried using the brake during wheelies yesterday and today on my way to work, but the problem did not occur :/

dazzor

Possibly not very helpful but I can't resist....

Riding around on one wheel and opting for the added safety of ABS......bit of an oxymoron methinks, ha ha :)

Enjoy and be safe

Darren

Ralph

Must admit I have seen a engine blow due to oil starvation doing a wheelie, keep a eye on
the oil light, still think it's a wheel speed thing putting your light on and maybe it's
just somthing you will have to get used to or if you can find out how to fit a switch
to turn off the abs.

Last edited:

def

Possibly not very helpful but I can't resist....

Riding around on one wheel and opting for the added safety of ABS......bit of an oxymoron methinks, ha ha :)

Enjoy and be safe

Darren
haha yeah. but have to say i only do a wheelie when there are an opportunity (safteywise). i do it in the trafic every day, i do. but only when there are such big marginals that if i mess up, no one else but myself will get involved.

but my pont with this thread is not to complain that the ABS is bad cus it cant handle wheelies. my reason here is that i want to learn why the ABS system acts like this, with random pattern of turning of in the exact same circumstances.
this problem does not irritate me i am much aware of that the ABS system can shut down when i get back on 2 wheels and that is a part of the saftey calculation before i even lift the front wheel.

and yeah as Ralph says i have heard of the engine failure due to the oil being in the wrong place during wheelies. it wont happen to tho since i cant ride on one wheel that far yet :)

speed and some times wheelies are one of the main reasons most ppl ride a bike instead of a car right? i mean how many of the ppl here do accualy never ever cross the speedlimits on the roads?