About fuel consumption MT 07 - 2016.

JaKendza

I apologize for the beginning of my English is bad, will probably give me some understanding.
I just bought the MT 07 and ran about 500 km. I'm interested in experiences related fuel consumption L / 100 km
Thank you in advance, greetings to everyone
Zoran - Jagodina - Serbia

JaKendza

Thanks, I'll be free to ask for some art with mt 07. I drove the little CBR125R and I just crossed the 07 mt 500km. Many things are different, and most have already figured it out. You might first ask what should especially pay attention to driving.
I'll be grateful for the advice.
Zoran, Jagodina

Ralph

You have ridden a 125 so know the basics, the 07 is well behaved so you should not have many problems,
You need to be a bit more careful with the throttle control as the 07 responds quickly to throttle inputs,
and because of the way the engine is timed it sounds to be revving lower than it is and you can end
up moving faster than you think you are,
the rear suspension is a bit under damped and the bike can wallow on bumpy corners but it wont
do anything silly as long as you don't over do it to much, accelerating gently round corners helps.
Ride smoothly and build up your speed over time you will end up a faster, smoother safer rider.

JaKendza

You have ridden a 125 so know the basics, the 07 is well behaved so you should not have many problems,
You need to be a bit more careful with the throttle control as the 07 responds quickly to throttle inputs,
and because of the way the engine is timed it sounds to be revving lower than it is and you can end
up moving faster than you think you are,
the rear suspension is a bit under damped and the bike can wallow on bumpy corners but it wont
do anything silly as long as you don't over do it to much, accelerating gently round corners helps.
Ride smoothly and build up your speed over time you will end up a faster, smoother safer rider.

First, to thank for the answer.
Yeah so, how to set described. The sound of the engine can be misleading in connection speeds, or to just elaborate on the engine, drive up to 5000 rpm, so quickly get to sixth gear and when I add the gas, the engine is not pulling in as fast as 3 or 4, so I so it figured out.
Otherwise I anyway do not drive fast. Only enjoy cornering. My level is 80-120 km / h through the familiar curve. I lean engine that I know and can do. I practice my passing through the curve, in accordance with as read on the Internet (and I've read it three times) and practiced lightly.
I might have some questions about passing through the curve.
Thanks again, and when I think of questions I'll be free to speak again.
I hope not to bother
Pozz Zoran, Jagodina

Last edited:

bobh

Forget the "eco" symbol, just keep it in its happy zone, which I reckon is between 4000 and 7000 rpm, and you'll be fine.

But the main thing is to enjoy the ride and not worry too much about a couple more km/l!

JaKendza

Forget the "eco" symbol, just keep it in its happy zone, which I reckon is between 4000 and 7000 rpm, and you'll be fine.

But the main thing is to enjoy the ride and not worry too much about a couple more km/l!
I think that the happy zone just 4000 -7 (8), 000. But I have to think of km / l my daily dose is about 200-300 km.
By the question, whether I'm wrong if I change gear from 3 upwards without clutch.
The feeling is the same as the clutch.
Pozz Zoran, Jagoda

sdrio

I read a review of the MT07, where the writer described the eco symbol as something 'Yamaha had helpfully put there to tell me when I'm riding too slowly'.

sdrio

I think that the happy zone just 4000 -7 (8), 000. But I have to think of km / l my daily dose is about 200-300 km.
By the question, whether I'm wrong if I change gear from 3 upwards without clutch.
The feeling is the same as the clutch.
Pozz Zoran, Jagoda
You don't feel it because the ratios higher up the box are closer, so there's a relatively small change in engine speed between the two gears. Clutchless gearchanges don't have any effect on anything, they're just a curiosity - something you can do on a bike that you can't do in a car.

Maybe if you're on a track, competing for the world championship, they're worth doing. Otherwise they're just another way to knack your bike if you get them wrong.

Noggie

Even though covered, my average consumption is around 4.2l/100km, and that's me not caring about consumption at all, just driving normally, with some hard accelerations and swift cornering. At cruise I stay around the 4500-5500 mark as anything less and the bike is not to happy if it has to accelerate, higher and it tends to be a bit snappy.

I sometimes do clutch less up shifting, should not matter if you do or not, might put some more wear of the greabox if you don't blip the throttle.

bobh

Personally I find using "half clutch", i.e. just bringing the lever in to the bite point, not all the way back to the bar, seems to give the cleanest upshifts.

With some gearboxes (though I never experienced it on the MT-07) if you pull the lever all the way in and fully disengage the clutch the gears can go "dog-to-dog", rather than engaging properly, and you can get a false neutral.

sdrio

Even though covered, my average consumption is around 4.2l/100km, and that's me not caring about consumption at all, just driving normally, with some hard accelerations and swift cornering. At cruise I stay around the 4500-5500 mark as anything less and the bike is not to happy if it has to accelerate, higher and it tends to be a bit snappy.

I sometimes do clutch less up shifting, should not matter if you do or not, might put some more wear of the greabox if you don't blip the throttle.
4.2l/100km is pretty good. That's well over 60mpg. I use mine mostly in traffic, and use over 5l/100km.

Simoncrp

I seem to find the bike sounds very uncomfortable from about 4000 revs upwards in 1st and 2nd gear. Even 3rd. Sounds very strained and starts vibrating. Maybe in higher gears you can get to 7000, but not in the lower ones.

bobh

I seem to find the bike sounds very uncomfortable from about 4000 revs upwards in 1st and 2nd gear. Even 3rd. Sounds very strained and starts vibrating. Maybe in higher gears you can get to 7000, but not in the lower ones.
No, I agree, there's no need to rev it any higher in the lower gears, in fact the response at those revs becomes too jerky. 7000 would be for something like an overtake in a national speed limit to get you past a.s.a.p.

Noggie

4.2l/100km is pretty good. That's well over 60mpg. I use mine mostly in traffic, and use over 5l/100km.
I don't do much high speed, usually below 100kph.
Find myself using 4th and 5th on cruise, 5th from about 70kph, I just use 6th on the motorway.
4th works fine between 50-70kph,

Still learning this bike, and the suspension does not aspire confidence, especially under braking.
I have been sitting very upright with my back very straight, and that sometimes makes cornering aggressive a gut wrenching experience.
I have found out that leaning slightly forward and being able to lower my elbows makes aggressive ridding better, for crushing the straight back works fine.
I just can't decide if I should upgrade the suspension, or get a new bike.
Going to a Kawazaki test day in May to try the Z1000SX. I guess that will be the decider.

JaKendza

And my AVG 4.2 km / l, mod drivers on top was 4.7km.l
I drive in the 6th from 85 km / h and above. Mostly 95/100 km / h and the AVG 4.2
I know my driving style and I think that most go to 4.5 km / l.

sdrio

And my AVG 4.2 km / l, mod drivers on top was 4.7km.l
I drive in the 6th from 85 km / h and above. Mostly 95/100 km / h and the AVG 4.2
I know my driving style and I think that most go to 4.5 km / l.
80-100km is a very efficient speed for this bike. I noticed over the weekend where I was riding steadily, and did about 40 miles in a 50mph (80km/h) limit on the M3 that I have got way more out of the tank than usual.

It normally goes onto reserve at about 120 miles, I'm on 140 now and only just onto one block.

JaKendza

80-100km is a very efficient speed for this bike. I noticed over the weekend where I was riding steadily, and did about 40 miles in a 50mph (80km/h) limit on the M3 that I have got way more out of the tank than usual.

It normally goes onto reserve at about 120 miles, I'm on 140 now and only just onto one block.
Yes, here (Serbia) has a limit of 80 km / h, whether motorcycles have a small discount, but we do not stop up to 100km / h. I think that my consumption will be about 4.4 - 4.6 km / l when you work out the motor (after 1000 km)

Simoncrp

I'm still not managing to get above 50 mpg. And I'm riding at pretty normal speeds. I suppose it's the inner London commute, where I can't (legally!) get above 20/30 mph!

sdrio

I'm still not managing to get above 50 mpg. And I'm riding at pretty normal speeds. I suppose it's the inner London commute, where I can't (legally!) get above 20/30 mph!
Still sounds a bit heavy. After 2 - 3,000 miles your engine should have relaxed a bit, and you'd see an improvement in consumption.

I'm doing the same as you, and get a pretty consistent 55mpg - that's based on miles/fuel added, not that daft trip computer. I assume you're not using that for your numbers?

If you're really getting such bad figures, I'd think about the following;

- Brakes sticking? Unlikely, but if they were they'd have an effect.
- Tight chain? As above, but check it anyway.
- Tyre pressures - are your tyres properly inflated, if not, get it done! 33 front, 36 rear.
- Is it just the way you ride? I don't know whether you're an experienced rider or not, but maybe try a little experimentation. Try riding with economy in mind, this doesn't mean never going over 2,000 rpm (and should never be a priority over safety), but give yourself an extra 10 minutes each morning for a week, and try slowing down, thinking carefully about what's in front, and anticipating changes in speed, stuff like that. You can make a noticeable difference, especially if you're normally heavy handed.

I've done this on most of the bikes I have owned, sometimes to the point of irritating myself, but it's good to know how to save fuel, for when it hits £1.80/litre . . .!