Hello & Welcome to our community. Is this your first visit? Register
Thanks Thanks:  1
Likes Likes:  3
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Bike
    MT07

Stalling & O2 Eliminators - A Possible Solution

From time to time, Iíve experienced the much-reported stalling issue. My bike can go for months without it happening and then do it two or three times in a week. It mostly does it when Iím still moving. For example, Iíll be slowing down for traffic lights and as I pull in the clutch to stop, the engine just dies. And, on each occasion that it does it, it takes five or six attempts to re-start. That to me is indicative of a fuelling problem.

Iíve read of similar stalling issues on other bikes where removal of the O2 sensor is the accepted solution. I wonít pretend to be an expert but, as I understand it, the O2 sensor controls fuelling at low engine speeds. So if it detects exhaust emissions outside certain parameters it signals the ECU to supply less fuel. Which is great for the environment (or at least emissions tests) but it sometimes cuts fuel to the point where the engine can't actually run and it stalls.

Now you could just unplug the O2 sensor. I don't know if that would cause running problems but it will certainly throw an error message and ďCheck EngineĒ light on the dash. (Also running the O2 sensor disconnected will eventually kill it so you can't easily put the bike back as it was). However, an O2 eliminator fools the system into thinking that the O2 sensor is still there, hence no error messages. So I figured Iíd give it a try.

I bought a full kit, including a blanking plug, from eBay for £14 delivered and fitting is a doddle: Remove the right side frame cover, trace the O2 sensor wiring back to the connector, disconnect it and plug the eliminator in it's place. Then unbolt the O2 sensor from the exhaust and fit the blanking plug instead. Takes about 10 minutes all in.

So what's it like? Well, itís early days but Iím going to call it a success: I havenít had any stalling since fitting the eliminator and tick-over is now rock steady instead of wavering up and down like before. And although I havenít measured properly, fuel consumption seems unaffected. So a small price to pay for a much enhanced, and safer, riding experience.
    Last edited by DJP; 10-06-2016 at 12:49 PM.
    Sold: Yamaha MT-07
    Riding: 2016 Suzuki Bandit 1250
    My Website

Bike
    MT-07 Grey
    Getting the dealer to increase the fueling by 2 points also fixes the issue.

Bike
    MT07
    Hmmm... I'm not sure that works tbh.
    My Website

Bike
    MT-07 Grey
    That's fine mate, you can ignore the advice from people who have fixed the issue. As someone who had a bike cutting out multiple times every week this fixes the issues and has fixed the issue for many others.

Bike
    MT 07
    Hi DJP, I did this on a previous bike & i noticed that the mpg was affected quite badly.....
    It did run very well but id say the mg was down by 30%..
    Motorcycles aren't dangerous. Distracted drivers are.

Bike
    MT07
    Quote Originally Posted by addy View Post
    That's fine mate, you can ignore the advice from people who have fixed the issue. As someone who had a bike cutting out multiple times every week this fixes the issues and has fixed the issue for many others.
    Hey, I'm not looking for an argument - just saying that "Increasing the fuelling by two points" (whatever that actually means) is unlikely to have an effect since the O2 Sensor would simply detect the increased mixture and turn everything back to how it was.

So if your dealer's fixed it then I suspect that they've actually done something else.
    My Website

Bike
    MT07
    Quote Originally Posted by Yaminator View Post
    Hi DJP, I did this on a previous bike & i noticed that the mpg was affected quite badly.....
    It did run very well but id say the mg was down by 30%..
    Fortunately, I've had nothing like that. I monitor my fuel consumption via Fuelly (and I have done from day one). I've put 5 or 6 tank fulls through the bike since fitting the eliminator and fuel consumption is exactly the same.

As I understand it, the O2 Sensor only has an effect at low speeds anyway and so shouldn't affect "Highway" fuel consumption at all.

My point really is that an O2 Eliminator is only a tenner (and a piece of piddle to fit) so anyone having issues might as well give it a try (it's easy to put the bike back as it was if you don't like it).
    My Website

Bike
    MT-07 Grey
    Quote Originally Posted by DJP View Post
    Hey, I'm not looking for an argument - just saying that "Increasing the fuelling by two points" (whatever that actually means) is unlikely to have an effect since the O2 Sensor would simply detect the increased mixture and turn everything back to how it was.

So if your dealer's fixed it then I suspect that they've actually done something else.
    No they haven't, Like I said they increased the fueling by two points, connected the bike to the computer and increased it by 2... the most simple job you could imagine even the most stupid mechanic could manage it. I spent the last two years in and out the dealer with them trying everything they could think of with no improvement and once they finally did what I asked them to the problem was fixed.

Like I said you can be ignorant and dismissive of what has worked for everyone else and continue messing around with your o2 sensor.

Bike
    MT07
    OK, I'm happy their fix worked for you.

(although, personally, I wouldn't trust my local Yam dealer to actually do anything for me, although I'm sure they'd be happy to charge me for saying that they had... )
    Last edited by DJP; 10-11-2016 at 01:17 PM.
    My Website

Bike
    MotoMorine 350 Strada, MT-07 in White
    Mine was a staller, they did increase the fueling I watched them do it, first they had
    done and wanted feed back, since it has stalled twice in about 5000 miles, before
    this I tried unplugging the 02 and it worked did not stall and ran better at low revs,
    I also have a Kawasaki, that came fitted with a device called a Booster Plug at
    least I think thats the name, it as a separate temp sensor and fools the ECU into
    thinking it needs 6% more fuel though this bike never stalled it does run better at
    low speed with it, problem is that emission controls are forcing engines to be run
    right on the edge of what is possible at this time and drivability is suffering so
    anything that makes them run a little richer helps, Even though you are injecting
    more fuel the bike gives a little more power and will often run a higher gear at
    the same speed so fuel consumption can end up being unchanged or even better.
    Not that you should have these problems on a new bike but they would rather take
    the easier view that it doesn't happen implying it is rider error until some poor sod
    gets rear ended, or the clamor gets so loud it affects sales.
    Last edited by Ralph; 10-12-2016 at 02:19 AM.
    Ralph Nr Fleetwood NW UK

https://badges.fuelly.com/images/smallsig-uk/310225.png

Who would invent a vehicle that falls over when you stop?

If you find a answer to your problem then please come back and post
    the answer as it will help others with the same problem.