Thanks Thanks:  1
Likes Likes:  9
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast
    Bike
    Yamaha MT-07

Angry Removing the akrapovic DB-killer

Hello!

Anyone have any good tips on how to remove the Akrapovic DB-killer?? I've removed the screw that holds it in place, but it won't budge even when warmed up..

Bike
    MT-07 ABS
    Quote Originally Posted by Labrajo View Post
    Hello!

Anyone have any good tips on how to remove the Akrapovic DB-killer?? I've removed the screw that holds it in place, but it won't budge even when warmed up..
    For what I have heard and watched on videos you need to take some sort of tool and grab it and drag real hard while you wiggle it. Which may result in damaging the DB-killer. Only cosmetic damage but still annoying. So try and live with it installed I think you will find the sound without it to much in the long run.

Bike
    MT 07
    exhaust needs to be cold as metal expands when warm. You have to get some pliers with a rag and pull and twist as best you can. Pretty crap and it will damage the pipes. I used a bit of wd40 sparyed also into edges, If you take it our the DB is way to heavy and loud. Ive put mine back in an dcut the pipes.

Bike
    MT07
    Quote Originally Posted by loneranger View Post
    exhaust needs to be cold as metal expands when warm. You have to get some pliers with a rag and pull and twist as best you can. Pretty crap and it will damage the pipes. I used a bit of wd40 sparyed also into edges, If you take it our the DB is way to heavy and loud. Ive put mine back in an dcut the pipes.

Great video Loneranger, thanks for sharing!
    I'm getting my MT07 delivered in a couple of weeks and will also go for the Akrapovic exhaust.
    Love the sound of yours though... Without cutting the pipes is the sound a lot more quiet?

Haven't added any extras to my order at this point. Any that you would strongly recommend?

Bike
    MT 07
    with it out its crazy loud and shoots flames if you get the blip right. I ve order a new db killer and thers a thres on here somewhere. Best is to cut the inner pipes by 20 mm to remove the wider end pipe section. This is what sticks inside and prevents unit coming out. it will create amid sound also that way.

Bike
    MT07
    Could you not use an expanding bolt like a rawl bolt and give it a tug with some mole grips?

Bike
    MT 07
    alternative is to drill a hole in one of the back end pipes and use a steel rod with hook like bend to pull it out.

Bike
    MT-07
    If possible I'd use one of those 'spring pullers' (check link, that the correct english word?). Don't know if something like that is possible, but you can hook it in and try and tap it out a bit. Left side, right side, left side, right side. Just as long as it comes loose enough to pull out.
    Did that with my previous two db-killers Those were a different shape though.. but worth a shot. So far it helped me out fine.

Bike
    Various
    Ok, forgive me for asking such a rudimentary question, but after removing the screw that holds the DB Killer in place, what are you guys doing with it?

It's like a rubber end cap on the outside, with a nut on the inside right? Or is the DB Killer internally threaded so no nut is needed?

Either way, are people putting it back in, or are they just leaving the hole empty?

- Paulie
    Last edited by pgeldz; 08-13-2014 at 08:14 PM.

Bike
    Yamaha MT-07
    I was having tremendous trouble pulling the db-killer out when I installed my akra system. I pulled and pulled, I used pliers and rods and all kinds of stuff.

One thing did the trick where the other approaches just seemed to harm the unit though.

I took some groove-joint pliers (the important thing is that the pliers are at an angle, even 45 degrees should suffice). I then grabbed one of the small pipes of the db-killer with the pliers and hit the pliers with a rubber mallet in the outwards direction. It only took about 2-3 strikes to get it loose, and after a total of about 5 strikes it was totally off, with little to no damage to the db-killer.

I did this at first with some tissue paper between the pliers and the pipe, to reduce scratchingm, but that didnt work, it just slid out. Without the paper and a proper grip, it was super easy. Pulling simply does not work, this did.