Hello & Welcome to our community. Is this your first visit? Register
Thanks Thanks:  1
Likes Likes:  9
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Bike
    Yamaha MT-07
    Quote Originally Posted by pgeldz View Post
    Ok, forgive me for asking such a rudimentary question, but after removing the screw that holds the DB Killer in place, what are you guys doing with it?

It's like a rubber end cap on the outside, with a nut on the inside right? Or is the DB Killer internally threaded so no nut is needed?

Either way, are people putting it back in, or are they just leaving the hole empty?

- Paulie
    I actually just keep the screw and the grommet with the db-killer, so I know where it is if I want to put it back.
    The db-killer has a nut welded in place, so it has its own threads. The tailpipe is not threaded, so if you want to put the screw back in, you'd have to insert your own nut, and that just seems like extra work for no reason to me.

Bike
    Various
    Quote Originally Posted by mellanslag View Post
    I actually just keep the screw and the grommet with the db-killer, so I know where it is if I want to put it back.
    The db-killer has a nut welded in place, so it has its own threads. The tailpipe is not threaded, so if you want to put the screw back in, you'd have to insert your own nut, and that just seems like extra work for no reason to me.
    Ok, perfect. So you just leave the little hole exposed. You think that messes with the sound at all? I was thinking of leaving the rubber grommet in place, but I figured the pressure from the exhaust gasses would pop it out and then if I ever wanted to use the DB Killer I'd have to order a new grommet.

Looks like I'll leave the hole exposed then...thanks for the info!

- Paulie

Bike
    MT07
    It's a real pain in the ass getting it out Removing the akrapovic DB-killer

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bike
    MT07
    And waaaay to loud once it's out, I ran the bike for a day , trying to convince myself it was ok, but arriving home at 9pm one night I almost felt like I should be turning the engine off and coasting in..

Bike
    MT07
    I ended up modifying my dbk and refitting , have the perfect balance now , volume in between dbk in and out Removing the akrapovic DB-killer-imageuploadedbytapatalk1408428713-344111-jpgRemoving the akrapovic DB-killer-imageuploadedbytapatalk1408428736-842045-jpg

Bike
    Yamaha MT-07
    Quote Originally Posted by Sivvo73 View Post
    I ended up modifying my dbk and refitting , have the perfect balance now , volume in between dbk in and out

Ya, it is LOUD. I've used my bike two times since I installed akra without db killer, and I think I might have lost a bit of hearing. Gonna try out your level of modification.

Bike
    Yamaha MT-07
    Quote Originally Posted by pgeldz View Post
    Ok, perfect. So you just leave the little hole exposed. You think that messes with the sound at all? I was thinking of leaving the rubber grommet in place, but I figured the pressure from the exhaust gasses would pop it out and then if I ever wanted to use the DB Killer I'd have to order a new grommet.

Looks like I'll leave the hole exposed then...thanks for the info!

- Paulie
    That hole is so small compared to the outlet, it makes zero difference. And its on the inside of the unit, so it wont show either.

Bike
    MT07
    The hole where the Allan bolt holds the dbk in place is on the outside of the dbk casing, the two external pipes will pass this point meaning rubber grommet or not that hole will have no effect on noise lvls / tones or notes. For ease I took the advice of an earlier post and re-drilled that hole in a more accessible area nearer the front , meaning if needed I can remove the dbk without having to remove the exhaust.

Bike
    MT07
    Quote Originally Posted by mellanslag View Post
    Ya, it is LOUD. I've used my bike two times since I installed akra without db killer, and I think I might have lost a bit of hearing. Gonna try out your level of modification.
    Mellanslag, the note changes slightly , by the number of holes you drill the position of the holes and the diameter of hole you make. My advice start with one small hole? Run the engine test the sound. Then repeat until you have the volume you like... I have to be honest I didn't notice a particular note change just a steady increase in volume with each hole.... You also inherit a nice BBBRRAappp deep rasp , similar to without the dbk but only noticeable 5-6k revs plus. Personally I love it, quiet when I need it to be but a nice growl on demand Removing the akrapovic DB-killer

Bike
    MT07
    And let's be honest a small holes can be reversed should you not like it.. Cutting the internal pipes off completely scared me silly so avoided that option