Hello & Welcome to our community. Is this your first visit? Register
Thanks Thanks:  1
Likes Likes:  1
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Bike
    mt07, R1

After our discussion in the horn button mod thread, I did this at the weekend.

£16 on Ebay got me the left hand switchgear from a Yamaha YZF R125.

So, first problem . . .

After our discussion in the horn button mod thread, I did this at the weekend.-mt07-1-jpg

Comparing the wiring diagrams for the two bikes, most of the wires are matching, just two differences;

- The horn wires are both different, but that's pretty clear on the wiring diagrams, so just had to match them.

- The flash/pass switch wiring is just a splice into the high beam circuit. On the MT07 the splice is inside the switchgear, on the YZF it's on the external cable. Means there is an extra wire coming out of the YZF switchgear, which is confusing, but once I'd head scratched for a bit I worked it out.

So, then I got to this;

After our discussion in the horn button mod thread, I did this at the weekend.-mt07-2-jpg

Tested it, all OK (actually took 2 goes, to work out the splice problem).

And now I have this:

After our discussion in the horn button mod thread, I did this at the weekend.-mt07-3-jpg

And I already like it 100 x better than the cretinous original.

Anybody wants to do the same thing but worried about wiring, give me a yell. It's fairly simple stuff, would be happy to help.

Bike
    MT-07
    Will be good to look back on this when I do this to mine N1 sdrio!

Bike
    mt07, R1
    Quote Originally Posted by shadowmonkey View Post
    Will be good to look back on this when I do this to mine N1 sdrio!
    I'll post the wiring connections later for the YZF. There seem to be quite a few other models that would do the job though.

Bike
    RD350LC Triumph Street Triple TX
    Fun enough I was looking at replacing both LH & RH switches, LH for horn button RH for starter switch (they seem to want to stick sometimes) and XJR1300 looks like it will do both.
    Cheers
    Colin

1983 RD250LC
    1983 RD350LC
    2017 MT07 Tracer

Bike
    mt07, R1
    Quote Originally Posted by lcman View Post
    Fun enough I was looking at replacing both LH & RH switches, LH for horn button RH for starter switch (they seem to want to stick sometimes) and XJR1300 looks like it will do both.
    I thought about it, but thought the combined starter / kill switch wiring might be a pain. The existing one isn't bad enough for me (I'm horribly lazy).

Will be interested to see how you get on though.

Bike
    mt-07
    Please post the wiring connections. I'm considering of doing the same and it would be a great help.

Bike
    mt07, R1
    Quote Originally Posted by kyrtgr View Post
    Please post the wiring connections. I'm considering of doing the same and it would be a great help.
    I'll do it this weekend.

Bear in mind they're for a specific replacement cluster (2013 YZF r125), so others may not (probably won't) be the same.

It's not hard to work out though, if you have wiring diagram for both, and maybe a simple circuit tester.

Bike
    mt07
    I hate working on electrics (I have developed a huge phobia of them as I've grown older, forgotten everything I learned as a youngster!) almost as much as I hate the horn/indicator switches on the MT, so will be very grateful if/when you post the connections, it will give me the confidence to get on & do it. Thanks sdrio!

Bike
    mt07, R1
    Quote Originally Posted by nobull View Post
    I hate working on electrics (I have developed a huge phobia of them as I've grown older, forgotten everything I learned as a youngster!) almost as much as I hate the horn/indicator switches on the MT, so will be very grateful if/when you post the connections, it will give me the confidence to get on & do it. Thanks sdrio!
    I keep getting sidetracked . . .

I've reserved tomorrow for oil change / clutch stuff, I'll do a proper follow up with this as well.

Bike
    Aprilia Pegaso Strada
    And the follow-up never came...
    It never came!!