Hello & Welcome to our community. Is this your first visit? Register
Thanks Thanks:  5
Likes Likes:  5
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast
    Bike
    MT-07 Deep Armour

"Restricted"MT-07

The good news is the MT-07 has finally been released in Australia. Literally first bikes in showrooms today.
    The bad news is, that due to some unique Australian licensing laws, it's been downsized to 655cc (2mm bore reduction) and power restricted for learner use to 35 KW @8000rpm.

There is no news on full power versions but it looks unlikely as there's a huge 650cc learner market here and next to none for experienced riders who tend to " go big"

So, I have a question. Does anyone have any details of the restrictor kit used in the UK (Europe) to meet A2 restrictions. I'm figuring the same approach is probably being taken here and, even though it's heavily frowned upon to "de-restrict" even if you have a full licence, would be very interested to know what's involved?

Australia has restricted ER-6, Gladius and Yam XJ6 too. They are usually a combination of mechanical throttle limiters and/or CDI rev limiters, often using external jump wires.

Everything I've read about the MT-07 sounds fantastic and it'd be great to think we could have the same fun down here.

Thanks in advance,

Chillipom

Bike
    MT-07 Deep Armor ABS
    Hi!

At least in Spain they limit the throttle through a small metallic card (sorry for the awful description). It's quite easy to remove it with an allen key and keep the seal attached to the bike using a cable tie.
    Last edited by Alex_AC; 08-29-2014 at 01:44 PM.

Bike
    MT-07 Deep Armour
    Quote Originally Posted by Alex_AC View Post
    Hi!

At least in Spain they limit the throttle through a small metallic card (sorry for the awful description). It's quite easy to remove it with an allen key and keep the seal attached to the bike using a cable tie.
    Thanks Alex, that's a good start

Bike
    MT-07 race blu

Bike
    MT-07 Deep Armour
    You've got me interested Mushy

Bike
    Yamaha MT07
    Quote Originally Posted by Chillipom View Post
    The good news is the MT-07 has finally been released in Australia. Literally first bikes in showrooms today.
    The bad news is, that due to some unique Australian licensing laws, it's been downsized to 655cc (2mm bore reduction) and power restricted for learner use to 35 KW @8000rpm.

There is no news on full power versions but it looks unlikely as there's a huge 650cc learner market here and next to none for experienced riders who tend to " go big"

So, I have a question. Does anyone have any details of the restrictor kit used in the UK (Europe) to meet A2 restrictions. I'm figuring the same approach is probably being taken here and, even though it's heavily frowned upon to "de-restrict" even if you have a full licence, would be very interested to know what's involved?

Australia has restricted ER-6, Gladius and Yam XJ6 too. They are usually a combination of mechanical throttle limiters and/or CDI rev limiters, often using external jump wires.

Everything I've read about the MT-07 sounds fantastic and it'd be great to think we could have the same fun down here.

Thanks in advance,

Chillipom
    My MT-07 is restricted. You would never really know the difference. As its a mechanical restriction, it just stops the throttle cable by a few centimetres. Being the engine it is, the power comes from the low end which the restriction doesn't affect in the slightest. The only time ive wanted more power is when ive been cruising on the motorway or a fast dual-carriage way and wanted to overtake a few cars. The overtake is perfectly fine as you have the power, it just takes a bit longer to get there.

Ive had a tonne out of it on a private road and it still had some to give.

The only downside is that you cant take it on a track-day as its restricted

Hope this helps.

Bike
    MT-07 Deep Armour
    Thanks Sudgolf. I test rode a restricted version and agree with your comments. I know that Yamaha use throttle restriction on Xj6's here in Australia but was wondering if the max power quoted at 8000 rpm rather than 9000rpm on the full power version indicated an electronic rev limit on the ignition system.

Be please to hear anyone else's thoughts!

Bike
    MT-07
    I have an unrestricted MT07, but I tested a 35kW unit before buying mine. There is very little difference between them in real world use.
    Using Tapatalk

Bike
    MT-07 Deep Armour
    Thanks goloso. That seems to be the general opinion. Maybe I don't need to worry about de restriction for normal road use

Bike
    MT-07 Deep Armour
    Still keen to understand the whole restriction thing. Attached photos of Throttle range and throttle grip range. Can anyone give a comparison with full power version?
    "Restricted"MT-07-throttle-closed-jpg "Restricted"MT-07-throtle-jpg"Restricted"MT-07-throtle-grip-closed-jpg"Restricted"MT-07-throttle-grip-jpg
    Closed - Fully open - Closed - Fully open