Hello & Welcome to our community. Is this your first visit? Register
Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Bike
    MT07

Fuel pump noise on startup

Hi,

when I started my 2015 MT07 this morning, I turned the key, and instead of the usual whine of the fuel pump, got... nothing. The display lit up as usual, but the old familiar chorus was missing. Hit the starter, and it started without hesitation. I tried this twice more, and only the third attempt did the fuel pump noise occur.

I will be calling my local dealer tomorrow, but has anyone else experienced this? Does it herald the imminent demise of the pump?

Bike
    MT-09, Fazer8
    I'd guess if the bike started fine, then the fuel pump must be working OK.

Out of interest, do you habitually stop the engine with the ignition key or the kill switch (or even the sidestand with the bike in gear)? And had you done anything different the last time? It's just possible the shutdown sequence is different in each case.

Bike
    MT07
    Good questions. Startup-wise it's on the sidestand, turn key, hear whine, and hit the switch. Shutdown is into neutral, sidestand down, and turn off with the key. However, my partner had put the bike away the night before the second occasion, so you may have a point, as it's possible he used the kill switch (and I can blame him!).

I'll run the theory past the dealer today and see what they say, thanks for the input.

Bike
    MT07
    Nailed it! I tried both sequences this morning, and you're quite right, so panic over.
    Thanks Bobh.

Bike
    MT-09, Fazer8
    I too normally stop the engine with the key.

But sometimes when I'm parking on a hill I'll leave it in 1st and put the sidestand down - that way I can keep both hands on the bars (and use the front brake), and I don't have to re-find 1st afterwards to stop the bike rolling away. Next time I do this I'll listen out on restart to see if I hear the fuel pump!

Bike
    MotoMorine 350 Strada, MT-07 in White
    If the stop switch is off the pump doesn't prime, but when you switch it to run
    nothing happens still no priming noise but the bike fires up so the pump must
    prime wile the starter is spinning and you cant hear it, on every other bike I
    have had switch ing the stop to rum would prime the fuel rail but not on this one
    not that it matters as long as it starts.
    Ralph Nr Fleetwood NW UK

https://badges.fuelly.com/images/smallsig-uk/310225.png

Who would invent a vehicle that falls over when you stop?

If you find a answer to your problem then please come back and post
    the answer as it will help others with the same problem.