Hello & Welcome to our community. Is this your first visit? Register
Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Bike
    MT-09, Fazer8

Lowering & Restricting

An acquaintance is interested in buying my MT-07 (I'm moving on up to an -09). But she would need it to be lowered by about 25mm (an inch in old money) and restricted as she only has an A2 licence.

Has anyone here had all that work done by a dealer on an MT-07, and if so, approximately how much did it cost?

Thanks in advance - Bob

Bike
    MT 07
    Few ways to go about it. You can purchase the lowering spring kit from hyper pro. It will further reduce by 20mm.

It consist of shortening the rear shock and both front fork spring are shorten and changed from linear to progressive.

You can also get the streetbox kit which comes with the physical shock.

Bike
    VFR1200F MT07 moto cage
    What you need is this
    DIMOTIV Moto Gene -- Lowering Kit

Bike
    MT 07
    Quote Originally Posted by bartho View Post
    What you need is this
    DIMOTIV Moto Gene -- Lowering Kit
    That's another way to go about it.
    However, I for one am skeptical about "dogbone" or lowering link as some may call it.

Reason being is that the dogbone only lowers the rear while keeping the front height unchanged.
    This will unintentionally result in an ergometry change in the bike itself.

Dogbone is the easiest way to go around, but should you ever need to, do remember to lower the front as well.

Bike
    Yamaha MT-07 ABS
    We used to fiddle with front fork steering geometry on Motocrossers by slackening the triple-clamps and raising or lowering the forks within the clamps. MX riders did it to achieve faster or slower steering, depending on the track, but maybe we could do it on the MT-07 to equalise the front/rear ride height, following a rear-end lowering kit. If the rear is lowered we certainly must lower the front too, otherwise the rake, trail and castor will be wrong.
    Last edited by Scim77; 03-14-2016 at 01:49 AM.

Bike
    MT-07
    Last week, while visiting the yamaha dealer, he had a customer's moto cage with raised forks (about an inch). I asked about it and he said they made it for a lightweight girl with no problems so far. On the back they had just gone to softest setting in pre-charge. Not ideal but it worked so far with no problems.

Enviado desde mi LG-H735 mediante Tapatalk
    Using Tapatalk

Bike
    Yamaha MT-07 ABS
    Hmm. Raising the forks will decrease the head angle, reduce the trail and shorten the wheelbase, making the bike turn quicker. It will be slightly more twitchy but combined with a soft saggy rear end (the bike's not hers) she will probably be fine and soon adapt to the difference, if indeed she notices it at all.

Bike
    MT-09, Fazer8
    Thanks for the interesting replies. All food for thought, and I'm sure it's potentially useful info for some members.

But to be honest, in my case, I'm going to either sell the bike to her as it is, for her to get modified by a dealer, or if she doesn't go ahead with the purchase, I'll trade it in for an MT-09 on Friday.

Whatever the rights or wrongs of it, with the bike at its standard height, she had difficulty getting her leg over the pillion seat. And although she could get the balls of her feet on the ground, she isn't confident that she could deal with real world situations where there is camber, gravel, potholes etc. Now I have exactly that situation on my DRZ400 trailie, but in my case a) I'm a more experienced and hence confident rider and b) I'm not too worried about dropping the bike, as trailies are built to take it. It's all a question of confidence and perception.

So, to return to the original question, which was basically "How much would a dealer charge to do it?"

Bike
    MT-07 HO Matt Silver/Race Blue
    Hi
    I lowered mine 2" (50mm) with the T-Rex lowering link, lowered the front 37mm - no noticeable difference with handling. We did it at home as husband and son are quite handy with the tools, and had lowered both their zx-14's as well. I could not get any more than the end of my big toe on the ground before and could not get the bike off the side stand, now I am on the balls of my feet both sides and feel quite secure.

Bike
    mt-07. new bike on way
    lowered mine with help from hyperpro when mt-07 was released. they changed the spring and internal fork springs which took 20mm off. you will also need a shorter side stand so the bike isnt standing up when you park it.
    the hyperpro kit got rid of the bouncy front end and has made the bike very hard and aggressive but i like it like that. had the go on a mt-09 with the same kit and it rode just as aggressive.
    £80 for the rear spring £120 for the fork kit. side stand available on ebay also.