Hello & Welcome to our community. Is this your first visit? Register
Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Results 1 to 10 of 10
  1. #1
    Member wirld's Avatar
    Bike
    2014 MT-07
    Join Date
    Mar 2015
    Location
    Auckland
    Posts
    39

    Question Front brake caliper binding?

    Hi All,
    Looking for some advice from the mechanically minded, please...

    In October I decided to upgrade my brake pads - installed a set of Ferodo sintered. I really liked them, I felt the initial bite was better and had better feedback from the front of the bike.
    In November my bike went for its 10,000km service - dealer didn't find anything remiss with the brakes.
    Since then I've done another 1,700km so all told probably 2000km on the pads.

    Today I noticed a griding from the front during braking, got home and took off the brake calipers.
    The outer pad of the left hand caliper (viewed from riding position) was worn down to the metal - the others are virtually perfect.

    I imagine that the caliper pistons got stuck pushing the pad against the disk - has this happened to anyone else on the MT-07?
    Are there any early warning symptoms - I honestly noticed nothing wrong with the brakes until today?
    I sprayed out the calipers with brake cleaner, the rubbed a touch of anti-seize around the outside of the pistons today - is there something else I can do to prevent this happening again?
    Is it possible it was a dud brake pad?
    etc

    Thank you for input!
    Grant

    Front brake caliper binding?-img_2031-jpgFront brake caliper binding?-img_2032-jpg

  2. #2
    Senior Member
    Bike
    mt07, R1
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Location
    London
    Posts
    964
    If it was a seized piston, it shouldn't have done that - it seems that the piston must be constantly applying pressure to the pad. Presumably you replaced the pad (or will replace it), did the piston move back easily?

    I'm not a mechanic, so this isn't based on any kind of expertise, but wouldn't this suggest there's a problem of balance between the brakes? One of them seems to be permanently on, the other not.

    If you're still under warranty, I'd take it back. If not, at best your braking must be compromised so a strip down sounds necessary.

    Interesting though, have never seen anything like that before.

  3. #3
    Senior Member Ralph's Avatar
    Bike
    MotoMorine 350 Strada, MT-07 in White
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Location
    NW UK
    Posts
    946
    Maybe the pad it's self has been binding in the calliper, rather than the piston,
    the locating peg top left on the worn pad looks a bit suspect.
    Ralph Nr Fleetwood NW UK

    https://badges.fuelly.com/images/smallsig-uk/310225.png

    Who would invent a vehicle that falls over when you stop?


    If you find a answer to your problem then please come back and post
    the answer as it will help others with the same problem.

  4. #4
    Senior Member Scim77's Avatar
    Bike
    Yamaha MT-07 ABS
    Join Date
    Jul 2015
    Location
    Storrington, West Sussex
    Posts
    112
    Quote Originally Posted by Ralph View Post
    Maybe the pad it's self has been binding in the calliper, rather than the piston,
    the locating peg top left on the worn pad looks a bit suspect.
    I agree. This type of uneven wear is usually caused by 4 possibilities. 1) Faulty pad material - highly unlikely. 2) Faulty master cylinder - unlikely, since this would cause all four pads to wear or at least wear unevenly in pairs. 3) Sticking hydraulic piston within that particular calliper - more likely. Check that all pistons push back with similar resistance. If not then you need calliper overhaul. 4) Pads mechanically tight in the calliper apertures or on the guide pins - most likely.
    When fitting your new pads, make sure that they are a nice easy fit when you slot them into the calliper. It is important that they slip in easy. If they are tight, carefully scrape debris from the calliper pad areas, and/or file the edges of the metal pad backplates until you achieve an easy fit. Sparingly apply copper-rich grease to 'rubbing' metal surfaces of the pads. Clean the pins and refit with the anti-rattle clips.

  5. #5
    Senior Member Yaminator's Avatar
    Bike
    MT 07
    Join Date
    Nov 2014
    Location
    London
    Posts
    299
    This could be air trapped in the braking hose's since changing the pads, the pad that's worn i bet it was the first pad inline with the first direct hose from the master cyclinder...??

  6. #6
    Member wirld's Avatar
    Bike
    2014 MT-07
    Join Date
    Mar 2015
    Location
    Auckland
    Posts
    39
    Quote Originally Posted by sdrio View Post
    If it was a seized piston, it shouldn't have done that - it seems that the piston must be constantly applying pressure to the pad. Presumably you replaced the pad (or will replace it), did the piston move back easily?
    It did move back in easily...at least with no more difficulty than the other pistons when I put the old pads back in until I can get a new set.

    Quote Originally Posted by Yaminator View Post
    This could be air trapped in the braking hose's since changing the pads, the pad that's worn i bet it was the first pad inline with the first direct hose from the master cyclinder...??
    It was the first pad inline as you guessed - but I don't understand how does air in the braking hose cause this?

    Quote Originally Posted by Ralph View Post
    Maybe the pad it's self has been binding in the calliper, rather than the piston,
    the locating peg top left on the worn pad looks a bit suspect.
    That's something I never even considered - I'll have a look at it this evening after work, thank you!


    Quote Originally Posted by Scim77 View Post
    I agree. This type of uneven wear is usually caused by 4 possibilities. 1) Faulty pad material - highly unlikely. 2) Faulty master cylinder - unlikely, since this would cause all four pads to wear or at least wear unevenly in pairs. 3) Sticking hydraulic piston within that particular calliper - more likely. Check that all pistons push back with similar resistance. If not then you need calliper overhaul. 4) Pads mechanically tight in the calliper apertures or on the guide pins - most likely.
    When fitting your new pads, make sure that they are a nice easy fit when you slot them into the calliper. It is important that they slip in easy. If they are tight, carefully scrape debris from the calliper pad areas, and/or file the edges of the metal pad backplates until you achieve an easy fit. Sparingly apply copper-rich grease to 'rubbing' metal surfaces of the pads. Clean the pins and refit with the anti-rattle clips.
    Thank you for laying it out so clearly - I refitted the old pads last night as they still have plenty of life in them. But I'll refit them this evening and check for any binding in the caliper.
    Last edited by wirld; 12-22-2015 at 12:40 PM.

  7. #7
    Senior Member bobh's Avatar
    Bike
    MT-09, Fazer8
    Join Date
    Nov 2015
    Location
    Oxfordshire
    Posts
    125
    Agree with the above - pads binding in the housing seems the most likely explanation if the pistons are free. This 4-pot "blue spot" design (OK, they're not blue any more) is comparatively good at resisting piston seizure, unlike some of the 2-pot sliding caliper ones that Yamaha have used on other bikes such as the XJ6 and MT-03, which need a refresh pretty much every year.

    But what sort of anti-seize compound did you use on the piston? Anything with a mineral oil base will soften the piston seals - you should only use red rubber grease for this job.

  8. #8
    Senior Member Yaminator's Avatar
    Bike
    MT 07
    Join Date
    Nov 2014
    Location
    London
    Posts
    299
    Could this be a case of fake pads.? I mean was the replacements very cheap? EBay copies maybe??

  9. #9
    Member wirld's Avatar
    Bike
    2014 MT-07
    Join Date
    Mar 2015
    Location
    Auckland
    Posts
    39
    Quote Originally Posted by Yaminator View Post
    Could this be a case of fake pads.? I mean was the replacements very cheap? EBay copies maybe??
    I don't think so - they did come via Ebay, from Germany. The price was competitive but not significantly cheaper...I couldn't find Ferodo in NZ, and had used them prior.
    Also the other pads show the type of wear that I would expect after 2000kms

    Quote Originally Posted by bobh View Post
    But what sort of anti-seize compound did you use on the piston? Anything with a mineral oil base will soften the piston seals - you should only use red rubber grease for this job.
    I used Permatex Anti-Seize, apparently a copper, aluminium and graphite compound. Not sure if it contains mineral oil...
    Started by spraying brake cleaner all over the caliper and wiping everything down, then extending the pistons and wiping a small amount of antiseize on with a q-tip, then removing with a rag - surface feels slippery, but there's no visible excess anti-seize.
    Then bled the system to check if there was any air.

    Afterwards the feel at the lever was good.

    Update: I went to Yamaha this morning with the buggered brake pads - they reckon 99% chance it was a stuck piston, and that by cleaning it out the problem should be gone. I didn't remove the pistons completely though - so I'll take it back to them on Tuesday to have the calipers disassembled and cleaned out completely.
    Last edited by wirld; 12-23-2015 at 01:26 PM.

  10. #10
    Junior Member
    Bike
    2015 Yamaha Mt-07
    Join Date
    Mar 2017
    Location
    Johannesburg, South Africa
    Posts
    1
    Front brake caliper binding?-img_20180512_110112_958-jpg

    Hi guys and girls.

    Digging up this old thread as I see this might just be a common issue on the 07's.

    I knew the pads needed replacing last week, but then the scraping started about 5kms from my house.

    Changed out the pads on Saturday, but still have the "scraping / binding" sound...
    I did check that everything was working when I put the new pads in, but I am suspecting a bad or sticky piston....

    Lucky for me the disk is still good. I didn't touch the front brakes when I first heard the scraping...

    Considering I'm going to be replacing the fluid, are there any recommendations for what to use?
    I'm in Sunny South Africa where temps range between 0 and 40C....

    Thanks in advance.

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
All times are GMT -8. The time now is 12:07 PM.
Powered by vBulletin® Version 4.2.5
Copyright © 2018 vBulletin Solutions Inc. All rights reserved.
Search Engine Optimisation provided by DragonByte SEO v2.0.9 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2018 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
Donation System provided by vBDonate v1.4.8 (Lite) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2018 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
Feedback Buttons provided by Advanced Post Thanks / Like v3.6.3 (Lite) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2018 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.


Motorcycle-talk.net not associated with Yamaha in any way. We are an enthusiast site dedicated to the Yamaha MT-07 motorcycles. Our goal is to offer a place for Yamaha MT07 owners to discuss rides, events, mods, maintenance, purchasing, etc.